• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dre38w

Real time enemy/team AI and turn based enemy/team AI complexity difference

11 posts in this topic

Which do you guys think has more complexity to it when coding it into a game? Real time battling, like action games, shooters and what have you, or turn based RPG battling?

[quote name='dre38w' timestamp='1345421637' post='4971276']
Which do you guys think has more complexity to it when coding it into a game? Real time battling, like action games, shooters and what have you, or turn based RPG battling?
[/quote]

I think turn based is potentially far more complicated, with real time systems, you can skate by on some simple ai, because things are happening constantly that the player isn't always going to notice that the ai is using simple mechanism's. but with turn based systems, if an ai makes a stupid move, the player is going to scratch their head wondering why they did that.

That makes sense. But I've played some shooters with their share of dumb AI and it's quite noticable. Isn't it just some basic checks for turn based? "Enemy timer bar filled. Now allow enemy to attack." Maybe some "Okay an enemies health is low allow it to heal itself OR have another enemy heal." But I suppose a team AI is much more complex. And it would depend upon the actual tasks they're required to do. You would think it's the same concept though right? "Team's timer filled. Allow team member to attack. If a team member's health is low, heal them." Now I very well could be over simplifying it but thoughts?

It's not that it isn't possible to do, from a computational standpoint, you can do more work on preparing a turn-based ai's next move, then you can in a real time environment, but it does come with the price of making sure the AI is complex enough not to look stupid.

sure, real time ai can still look dumb, no doubt. but i do believe it's possible to make them look less stupid with mechanics such as "look for enemy", "find cover" "retaliate". some games go more in-depth and add flanking maneuvers for team based attacking. but generally it's pretty basic as an example, playing mass effect 2 was simple when you realized that all you really had to do was sit behind cover until the enemy reloaded, since they rarely really advanced on you, whereas in halo 3, some enemy's would go around, while others attacked at the front.

but at the end of the day, good ai is important regardless of which environment you work in, if the player isn't being challenged by the ai, then it's probably not a very good AI. Edited by slicer4ever

Which do you guys think requires more effort when playing it? Team sports, like soccer, water polo and what have you, or individual sports?

[quote name='alvaro' timestamp='1345471836' post='4971473']
Which do you guys think requires more effort when playing it? Team sports, like soccer, water polo and what have you, or individual sports?
[/quote]
Nice... well done, sir.

I mean in coding it. I was having a debate with someone about what would be more complex to code. He figures smart turn based AI is more complex to code and get right than smart shooter/action game AI. I wanted to get other coders' opinions though.

But there are quite a lot of shooters that have pretty straight forward AI. I mean, I've coded some basic AI, waypoints, attacking, jumping over things that are in front, losing sight of player, etc. But pathfinding I would have no idea where to start. haha But turn based, like Final Fantasy for example, probably has its own level of complexity when coding it. But at least there I'd have a pretty good idea where to start.

You don't seem to have to take too much what the player is doing into consideration with turn based enemies. Team AI probably more so. But even then, with the team AI attacking enemies, it's almost the same concept as the enemy AI. I'm probably wrong though. haha

Dude... listen to us a second... your question is impossible to answer. AI is exactly what you make of it -- if you write complex code, it is complex. If you write simple code it is simple. Your entire premise is based on something that is not even defined. Stop worrying about it.

[quote name='dre38w' timestamp='1345484680' post='4971551']
But there are quite a lot of shooters that have pretty straight forward AI. I mean, I've coded some basic AI, waypoints, attacking, jumping over things that are in front, losing sight of player, etc. But pathfinding I would have no idea where to start. haha But turn based, like Final Fantasy for example, probably has its own level of complexity when coding it. But at least there I'd have a pretty good idea where to start.
[/quote]

Final Fantasy isn't exactly a good example of turnbased AI, it barely requires any intelligence from either the player or the computer.

When you talk to a programmer about turn based AI they're far more likely to think of games like Civilization where there are long term strategic choices and thousands of possible actions each turn.

[quote name='IADaveMark' timestamp='1345492873' post='4971603']
Dude... listen to us a second... your question is impossible to answer. AI is exactly what you make of it -- if you write complex code, it is complex. If you write simple code it is simple. Your entire premise is based on something that is not even defined. Stop worrying about it.
[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. I actually just coded some simple thing to see what I'll be looking at. A little test. It feels like this is going to be relatively less complex than what the other guy wants anyway. haha

Thanks guys. Sorry if I sounded like an idiot.

I can't even imagine an AI that would be able to beat a human at Dominions 3, so I would say that turn based is not at all simple.
Real time usually has more pathfinding issues as well as you can't have a 10 minute long update like Dominions 3 has for the AI in very long games.