• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wngabh11

TXAA details

This topic is 2302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone know about details of TXAA anti-aliasing or have any articles or papers of it? I've been trying to look for them, but just find some introductions and advertisement.

Advertisement
http://www.inquisitr.com/297606/the-secret-world-is-the-worlds-first-game-to-feature-txaa/

It seems to be hardware feature that can be enabled through nVidia Control Panel, not just shader code.

TXAA approaches the quality of other high end, professional anti-aliasing algorithms, though the higher quality filtering used by TXAA does result in a softer image compared to the lower quality filtering of traditional MSAA[/quote]What does that mean? Is "softer" good or bad? Or just different. I need to see hi-quality pictures. I ran google and found a flat out scary bench.

Ignoring the temporal stuff, the core idea behind MSAA seems to be using something other than a 1-pixel-wide box filter when performing MSAA resolve. This isn't exactly new...in offline CG and film using wide, complex filters is par for the course. And even in games you had the old "Quincunx AA" from GeForce 6/7/PS3 and more recently the wide tent/narrow tent/edge detect stuff from ATI/AMD. So far those approaches haven't fared well in the high-end PC world, since those gamers are used to ultra-sharp images viewed at very close range. But I think that it could pan out better for consoles or PC's attached to a TV, where you have some distance between the viewer and the display and thus it would make more sense to trade off some detail for a more stable image.

If you're interested in this stuff I would suggest digging up some reading material on image processing and filtering. There's also some info about the filtering modes in RenderMan on Pixar's website. Edited by MJP

AFAIK, Timothy Lottes hasn't published much info on TLAA yet -- he'll probably do so soon, seeing that the test-case (The Secret World) just came out, and it's in the new nVidia drivers. It's actually still a WIP R&D project.

if that is the result, it is no doubt the details cannot be found recently. Well, I just wait for them.

If you're interested in this stuff I would suggest digging up some reading material on image processing and filtering. There's also some info about the filtering modes in RenderMan on Pixar's website.

among the approaches of anti-aliasing, post-processing method is an important way all the time. Recently, i am just curious about why it is the technique can only be used on the latest hardware, in other words, what kinds of module are added in it, and whether it can be implemented by relatively old versions of hardware and SDKs.

I'm curious how TXAA plugs into the rest of the pipeline. For instance in case of deferred shading: Would you have a multi-sampled g-buffer and accumulate the lighting into another multi-sampled target before doing the TXAA resolve? Does it need another pass for edge detection and stenceling?

I'd be really surprised if they're doing anything that actually required a new hardware feature. So far everything they've described sounds completely doable with any DX11-class GPU.

As for integration, they said that you just render with MSAA, then give it to a special function for performing the resolve. I think it also requires a velocity buffer if you want temporal reprojection, but they never said anything about additional edge detection passes.

As for integration, they said that you just render with MSAA, then give it to a special function for performing the resolve.

Are the deferred passes rendered with MSAA? So I read all samples for a pixel from the multi-sample g-buffer and render to a multi-sample render target? Wouldn't all samples be the same then?

Thank you for the links. The resize feature and speed consideration are very interesting!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!