Best Engine for Networking and Physics

Started by
2 comments, last by AdrianC 11 years, 7 months ago
I would like to create a game that includes networking and physics, and will be FPS style. I currently am able to program well in C# C++ Lua and Python. I am also able to get by in many other languages. I am looking for a recommendation on an engine. I so far have tried Jmonkey but am not in love with java so its not for me, and have tried Dx Studio. Also not for me. I dislike the overall feel of the tool unfortunately. What do you guys use in general for this type of setup. I have heard to try Unity, are there any others you would recommend?

Requirements:

Support for networking (although I most likely will have to re-code most of it to do what I want the way I want)
Physics
Support for AI
Support for something that allows nice graphics (Maybe OpenGL or something)
Advertisement
Torque 3d has good networking and you can add ai bots. But I prefer UDK, it is really really easy to add ai and you can make ctf, tdm, or ffa game in a few minutes. If you have any other questions about udk, please ask.
Unreal is industry standard. I've never messed up with its internals but I have been told it's very nice.
Nonetheless, I think Unity' ability to run in browser and portables is flat out overkill.
I'm not really sure about torque... my biggest concern being the development hiccups it had in the past. They have been there for a while and I still don't feel ok with them.

Previously "Krohm"

For indies, Unity is pretty much your best choice. There's also UDK, which is generally considered less intuitive, and Cryengine, I don't know much about this one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement