Which Animation software

Started by
18 comments, last by Mayple 11 years, 8 months ago
I chose to develop a RPG as my final year project and I am at a fix now. I decided to use Unreal Game Engine but have no clue about which software to use for graphics or artwork.
Any suggestion or help is welcome.

Thank you
Advertisement
I would reccomend Blender, however if I am not mistaken Blender's use of size/grid on initial starting and setup does something wierd to the model when imported to UDK and you have to fidget with creating sizes. Don't qoute me on that, but I am almost positive that Blender still has the scaling issue for UDK exporting/importing.

*IE: You export a model which looks correct in Blender, on import it brings everything to Godzilla size portions into UDK.

I would reccomend Maya (Personally love it) as well as 3D Studio Max. If your running on a budget, give Milkshape3D a try. They are very useful to make animations/models in as well as porting/converting. (I have been guilty of importing models from one system through Milk3D and exporting to another format.)

If you are wanting to just do a basic sculpt, try ZBrush.
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

ZBrush single User - $699
Maya - $3675
3D Studio - $3675

None of these options are suitable for a beginner unless you are a student and can get student pricing, and even then can cost some bucks. I sure do see these products recommended a lot, and not always by students or pros. Must just be a lot of novices with thousands of dollars to burn, eh?

Blenders and Sculptris offer legitimately free solutions to learn by, without bankrupting yourself.
This list of 3D applications is pretty comprehensive and included prices(at the time it was authored), links, etc... for pretty much every 3D app out there.

As JTippetts said, unless you area a student, most of these apps have a pretty heavy price tag. You have a few "middling" apps like Lightwave and Modo that are around the 1000$ mark, and a few economy choices like Cheetah(Mac) or Silo, which appears to be unsupported now; but these are in the 100-200$ range.

Then you have Blender,Wings and Sculptris available for free.

I used to use Wings for modelling and Blender for everything else, but with recent additions to Blenders modelling tools, I simply use it for everything.
Oh yeah, there is also Hexagon, which is now completely free. That said, I looked at it briefly and found it to be kinda crappy. I could find little to no reason to recommend it over Wings3D/Blender, but some people swear by it, and hey, it's free.

A word of warning though, Daz3D will email you... a lot. Too much, far too much. So use a throwaway email address.
Thank you guys.
Yes I am a student. but i have a team to work with me so cost will be divided in 3 ways.
Among
3D studio max
Maya
blender
which one will be easy? My team mates and myself are comforable with programming but poor in animation.
Which one is best suited for us?
Then you are in luck, Autodesk has their entire suite available for students free for 3 years. Granted, if you want to make money, you will need to purchase a license, but it gives you a good start.

Easy is relative. I think for initial "pick up and go" Maya is the most accessible. Max probably has the most books and supporting materials, while Blender, well, it's getting better in this department.

None of them will be easy though; 3D is of itself a complete career. Expect it to take at least 6 months to become reasonably proficient, and years to become an expert. Also don't forget 3D isn't worth a damn if you dont have 2D skills to back it up, at least so far as creating texture maps go, so add a Photoshop/GIMP learning curve to that equation.

So, if you want easy, well honestly, look elsewhere.

If you want accessible, get Maya.
dont scare me.
I have only 6 months to build this game and this project is the most important thing to me.
At present I am in learning process of Unreal Engine with video tutorials.
Any such materials for maya?
When I was taking a course on basic 3d modelling and animation using Maya, my instructor recommended this site. Another option you could explore is finding free 3d models/game assets to use, or even spend a little money on assets. Purchasing assets can be cheaper in terms of money as well as time, and can alleviate some of the headache involved with learning the tools necessary to create your own art in addition to learning Unreal Engine, on top of actually writing your game. Good luck!
Hi, I'm a 3d Artist and do a lot of 3d modeling/animation. As for the best animation/3d software the top two are 3ds Max and Maya. I have used many of the 3d software such as 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, SketchUp Pro, Vue, and Mud Box.

3ds Max and Maya like I said are the two best software out there for gaming developing, film, etc... 3ds Max and Maya are very very powerful I would say I like 3ds max better the user interface is easier to move around in and navigate. Maya is a little more of a mess and takes a little longer to do stuff I think. Also there are a ton more tutorials on youtube and websites that can help you learn the program better. But the downfall these are one of most advanced software's out there. The unwrapping in these programmings are very good in my opinion in helping creating a realistic texture or a texture to your liking. There are I wanna say millions of options (maybe 1000's haha) to get a good detail and quality model.

Blender I just hate it the interface is so unorganized in my opinion compared to 3ds max, its still a powerful program and you can still do a lot with it but 3ds max and Maya are still better.

Google Sketchup is basically a 3d sketching basically its still powerful but textures have low quality and unwrapping and animation/rigging is terrible its really strictly for 3d modeling.

Vue is a 3d landscape program where you can generate land and transform it in anyway and paint it from anything to deserts, to a rain-forest. It can be used for games but its usually more used for film. (It was used in Avatar). There is no 3d modeling at all except for terrain editing.

Mud Box basically you model/transform your objects (has like a clay feeling to it). Great for making high poly models off the lower poly one.

In the end my opinion is that 3ds Max is the best software its well organized interface and everything flows good (But really 3ds max and Maya are so similar its really what you feel more comfortable with) There are well over 100+ plugins and scripts to help your modeling and animation, etc.. I advise you to choose to learn 3ds Max the learning curve is terrible its one of the most advanced 3d software out there along with Maya. The learning curve is different for each person I heard it came pretty easy to me if you really want to learn it. If you choose 3ds Max in the long run you will benefit from it the most in my opinion. Tell me what you choose if you do pick 3ds Max I can help you learn it basically over skype or something. There are many tutorials for on how to create objects, homes, etc...
(3d Modeler, and use 3ds Max on a daily basis)
Hope this helps choose your software!
- Robby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement