Arena Of Gods - Game Concept

Started by
15 comments, last by Orymus3 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone,

I'm still studying for the coming 2 years ( Digital Arts & Entertainment ) so I get licenses allot cheaper. Meaning that I don't need to waste time but need to focus on practicing & creating concepts for games.

I am really into Gods and stuff and there aren't really so many games that includes Gods. (God of war & Age of Mythology are cool God games)
So I'm planning to design an RPG game including Gods.

Game Name: Arena Of Gods
Game Type: MOBA - (6vs6)
Game Camera: Second person / Third person / Top down

Game itself:
Everyone knows the Olympic Games? Suppose the Gods are doing the Olympic Games as well. In the Arena of Rome.
Each player can choose a Greek God, which have their own special abilities ( example Zeus: Lightning ).
There are 2 bases in the arena for both teams at the beginning of the game. There is no respawn so teamplay is really needed to defend each other.
When you attack an opponent you gain Experience + Souls. Souls are used to buy items, armor, shields, damage, potions at your base.
Your God can level up through the Experience. The higher the level the more increased damage his abilities have.

That's all what I have for now. so what do you like of it so far? Should it be able to reach the market?
I'm not telling I want to create this game. It's just an idea and if it's good enough I want to spend time on this as free work. smile.png

Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
As you described it, your game wouldn't be an mmo, it would be a normal multiplayer rpg.

Suppose the Gods are doing the Olympic Games as well. In the Arena of Rome.
Each player can choose a Greek God, which have their own special abilities ( example Zeus: Lightning ).

I may be wrong too, but FYI i think you got the history a bit wrong, the olympic games were in Greece, near the mountain Olymp. The Romans had their "own" gods. With own I mean they mainly took over the geek gods and renamed them (Zeus is Jupiter for the romans,Poseidon is Neptune).

One thing you have to keep in mind, in the mythology Zeus was the strongest god, poseidon and ares were also stronger than the rest. Maybe you shouldn't be able to be Zeus, I think he might also be the chairman of the olympic games. It may be good to read up a bit on the greek mythology.

For the game design... you described the layout of your game, you haven't yet described any gameplay or mechanics to comment on. Could you describe the first 5 minutes of your gameplay?
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!
Ah haha, damn I failed at the mythology. I was a bit confused. smile.png
So 6versus6 is still a normal multiplayer? Ok. No one saw this ph34r.png

I know Zeus is the strongest God, but he also have weaknesses like any other God. And it is a teamplay so 2 Gods against 1 God can make a difference in the game.

The gameplay:
When the game starts each team spawns at their base. They have some souls to start with so they can buy some items,armor,etc.
The arena ( I think this need to be changed now ) is kinda big so there will be allot of running.
Every God has their own stats, Hades will have more starting shields than the other Gods for example. Zeus will have more strength, Poseidon more mana, etc.

The players need to attack each other on the battlefield, the Gods attack with melee or magic, depends on which God you are.
Each attack you gain Souls/Experience, if you are low hp you can return to your base, where your health regeneration will be faster.

Souls: you can buy mana potions, health potion, items like armor, damage, attack speed, etc
Experience: each level you gain you can upgrade your stats. Also the ability spells will be stronger

Hades his ability for example can be "Spawn creatures of shadow", who will help will attacking the opponents. the abilities also have a cooldown.
-----

So if you want to gain levels fast, you need to aim for attack speed. But you also need good armor so you don't need to go to your base each 2 minutes.
An example of a good teamwork is: The melee God takes allot of armor, so he can tank. The other Gods take allot of dps. This way you can kill opponents fast.
One thing general: If you want it to be fun without a respawn system, you have to balance out the waiting times. A game like that looks like you could have some serious waiting times.

this game isn't a real rpg, it resembles more to a MOBA game, because after each game, your progress is lost.

You have to think about the resource system more. When you get resource per attack, nobody is going to increase much else until late in the match. Also tanking is not encouraged, you essentially feed the other team resource. You can make this resource system work, but it needs thinking and balancing. For example making attack speed increases very expensive.

Yes, Zeus' weakness is to fertilise everything that makes a noise (seriously, read up on the mythology, the ancient greeks were a weird folk), but back to topic.
Since you have a very complex history with the greek gods, it would be a shame to just give them different stats and maybe some different abilities. If you play as hades, you really have to feel that you are the lord of the underworld.
And still you have to problem with badass Zeus. If you play 6 vs 6 and one is Zeus, it becomes a 7 vs 6 game. On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense either if Aphrodite could beat Zeus, even when Aphrodite and Hermes would team up.

But you could reuse your idea, the player is a human, but he choses a god. He/she is then an Avatar of this god, and the god grants the human powers. This is what the greek gods liked to do anyways and fits perfectly in your setting. And with the resource you can buy more from your chosen god.
I would recommend making exp gained partly based on the percent of damage done. Also, this sounds a little limited. There are 12 major gods, so you would have to have the option of having a lot of minor gods, although you could also find an excuse to add titans and stuff. However, one solution, that would also fit the op god idea, would be that for some reason (like that they all want equal footing to prove who is the most skilled) all of them are about equal. As such, you could also add demigods. You could also make it so that some gods have a variety of different spells that they could choose from for each map, but they can only pick a certain amount (although to build character, each god could have one fixed skill that all champions of that god must have).
Sounds like a MOBA like DotA, HoN, or LoL. So yes, it could reach the market. You could even implement it in the SC2 or WC3 editor if you wanted to. That way you wouldn't have to worry about netcode.

One thing you have to keep in mind, in the mythology Zeus was the strongest god, poseidon and ares were also stronger than the rest

This is, unfortunately, highly inaccurate, but I can let it slide.
Zeus was the more proeminent figure perhaps in Athens, and recognized by most city-states, but some city-states did not even revere him as a diety.
Careful with these bold accusations. I think the original concept actually work here, especially if each god is there as a champion for its own city-state (which in turn "creates it" through belief). This is very olympic-like as well.
But you could reuse your idea, the player is a human, but he choses a god. He/she is then an Avatar of this god, and the god grants the human powers. This is what the greek gods liked to do anyways and fits perfectly in your setting. And with the resource you can buy more from your chosen god.[/quote]
Cool idea ^^

And still you have to problem with badass Zeus. If you play 6 vs 6 and one is Zeus, it becomes a 7 vs 6 game. On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense either if Aphrodite could beat Zeus, even when Aphrodite and Hermes would team up.[/quote]
Maybe let's don't think that Zeus is OP. Have you ever played DragonBall Z? I that game even Krillin can defeat Brolly.. :D What is kind of impossible.
So I think I need to make them all kind of equal to each other like posted above. :)

+ Maybe a new idea: on both sides there will spawn minions/creatures that will help attacking to opponents. And if you kill those you can gain Souls ( so you don't gain souls anymore when you attack a God ). ( This is allot look-a-like LoL now indeed )

The will be data saved tho. Reputation, Achievements, etc.
I still don't want to work with a spawning rate, the players need to be careful. And suppose a player is dead, and he could like win +25 rating, it is his choice to stay or leave the game. If he stays and his team wins he also gains that +25. + He have learned to be more careful next time and play more as a team.
This concept sounds very similar to Bloodline Champions which is a very fun, micro-intensive, split-second reflexes MOBA. For more inspiration, check that out, as well as Smashcraft (a SC2 custom game).

If you're leaning more towards the DOTA side of things, then of course, check out DOTA, DOTA 2, HoN, or LoL. Each one has been very, very successful in terms of popularity.

Edit: Blah, can't get the youtube link to work properly at all. Just search youtube for "Bloodline Champions"

Zeus was the more proeminent figure perhaps in Athens, and recognized by most city-states, but some city-states did not even revere him as a diety.

alrigth, greek mythology is an ancient soap opera... anyways could that be jupiter then, or did i learn some bullshit in middle school?

I still don't want to work with a spawning rate, the players need to be careful. And suppose a player is dead, and he could like win +25 rating, it is his choice to stay or leave the game. If he stays and his team wins he also gains that +25. + He have learned to be more careful next time and play more as a team.

You first should think about the length of a match. Have you ever played counter strike? you alse needed to play as a team, but even in the best team sometimes a member dies inevitably. In such a game like you propose, dying is normal and you die constantly. What you currently do is punish the player for something which will happen to him more often than not. And when he even has to leave a game where his friends are still playing... seriously?
How you incorporate dying is very important in your game, think more about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement