"Macs are better for artists"

Started by
49 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 7 months ago

(4) Macs are not virus free, but it's more difficult to get hit by one. (You have to actively install a virus, it cannot sneak in the back way due to the way programs are installed).

False.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement

I was also pleasantly surprised by the sound; the audio quality is markedly better than all the laptops I've had before.

Clearly you've never had a Dell XPS. The sound was simply amazing for a laptop. The upgraded screen is also great. Not as good as an upgraded Clevo, but still very good. Overall I was very happy with the Dell XPS.

No, I've never had a Dell XPS, but it seems like that video mostly refers to the speaker quality which is something I was mostly ignoring; the Lenovo and Clevo I had both produced a very-quiet but still-audible noise/interference through nice headphones, and the Lenovo produces some other artifacts as well in certain cases. With the Macbook there's absolutely no noise at all and no artifacts that I've noticed. I'm sure there are other Laptops that work just as well, but since it wasn't something I put a great deal of thought into I was surprised at how much better it works.

In terms of the internal speakers I think the Clevo was the best, but I hardly ever use laptop speakers for anything.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I think it is too hard to compare Operating Systems nowadays. The PC (understand as Personal Computer) market is so big that Windows, Mac and Linux are inovating every day and bringing awesome products to its users.

Lets be objective then. I bought a Mac last year to develop apps for iOS, and here is my experience so far:

1) XCode is GREAT. It is right now (version 4.x) the best IDE I have ever used (My second favorite is Visual Studio). Why?
Because it provides an outstanding semantic analyzer of your code and presents great suggestions without changing the actual code (NetBeans does change your code as you type and I hate it).
Its debugger is awesome and you can attach actions to breakpoints (watch the video "Session 412 - Debugging in XCode" about it).
Its integrated dissasembly presents the AT&T format (which is dirty) but the otool that XCode provides can be easily used on Terminal to obtain the Intel assembly code.

2) The Terminal is great. It uses bash just as most distros of linux.

3) As for hardware. The Trackpad is great and it totally eliminated the use of mouse for me when I am doing general stuff (programming, browsing the web, etc.) Just for games we need a mouse.
BTW, the 2-finger scroll acceleration is hard to forget. I can't stand normal scrolling with a mouse anymore (it gets on my nerves xD)

4) The overall organization of your desktop is great. You can have multiples Desktop Spaces just as Linux, and it runs very smoothly.
The Finder is worse than Windows Explorer. Why?
It doesn't have "cut file" (ctrl+x).
When you are saving a file in a browser, the Finder instance doesnt let you move files, remove some, etc.
It doesn't have the option to see hidden files

However, those features can be easily modified by typing some commands on the terminal (just google your problem), or by installing an app (for the ctrl+x problem for example).

On the overall it is a great platform for development and for general use.
Only one more thing (sorry for the long post). It has one thing that sucks and I couldn't fix it yet ... its 'fn' and 'ctrl' keys on the keyboard have been switched. Then for gaming (where you have to press ctrl) it is bad.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

1) XCode is GREAT. It is right now (version 4.x) the best IDE I have ever used (My second favorite is Visual Studio). Why?
Because it provides an outstanding semantic analyzer of your code and presents great suggestions without changing the actual code (NetBeans does change your code as you type I and hate it).
Its debugger is awesome and you can attach actions to breakpoints (watch the video "Session 412 - Debugging in XCode" about it).
Its integrated dissasembly presents the AT&T format (which is dirty) but the otool that XCode provides can be easily used on Terminal to obtain the Intel assembly code.

That's odd, I want to open my wrists whenever I use XCode.

No, I've never had a Dell XPS, but it seems like that video mostly refers to the speaker quality which is something I was mostly ignoring; the Lenovo and Clevo I had both produced a very-quiet but still-audible noise/interference through nice headphones, and the Lenovo produces some other artifacts as well in certain cases. With the Macbook there's absolutely no noise at all and no artifacts that I've noticed. I'm sure there are other Laptops that work just as well, but since it wasn't something I put a great deal of thought into I was surprised at how much better it works.

In terms of the internal speakers I think the Clevo was the best, but I hardly ever use laptop speakers for anything.

Ah, understood. I do hear white noise when using headphones on the mac between songs or if I stop the music, after a couple seconds it cuts off however and is silent. I haven't had problems with any laptops and headphones while music is actually being played.

[quote name='kuramayoko10' timestamp='1345583597' post='4971984']
Because it provides an outstanding semantic analyzer of your code and presents great suggestions without changing the actual code (NetBeans does change your code as you type I and hate it).

That's odd, I want to open my wrists whenever I use XCode.
[/quote]

Why do you say that?
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
A Cinqtiq doesn't care what OS you are using.

3) As for hardware. The Trackpad is great and it totally eliminated the use of mouse for me when I am doing general stuff (programming, browsing the web, etc.) Just for games we need a mouse.
BTW, the 2-finger scroll acceleration is hard to forget. I can't stand normal scrolling with a mouse anymore (it gets on my nerves xD)

I feel the same way... about my Asus laptop, which has a multi-touchpad and 2-finger scrolling in both axes. Very intuitive to use once you get used to it, I must say.

Because it provides an outstanding semantic analyzer of your code and presents great suggestions without changing the actual code (NetBeans does change your code as you type and I hate it).

Which is amusing as some of the most die hard OSX/iOS lovers/developers I've known have always said they hate XCode and if they could use VS they would swap in a heartbeat.

Also you can attach actions to break points in VS2010 (and probably 2008, but I dont' have that to hand to check) so it can print a message or run a macro when hit.. so, pretty standard feature :)

The debugger can let you goto assembly view too and it'll be in the right format, no other tools required :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement