"Macs are better for artists"

Started by
49 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 7 months ago
yes xcode is terrible
though on a mac, for speed, you need a decent amount of memory.
I went from 2gb -> 8gb & it literally speed my machine up 4x!
Whilst MSVC is better than xcode in 90+ % of things, xcode's IDE is a joke (and yes unstable) compile speed is one thing where xcode seems to beat MSVC

Personally Ive never really used Intellisense much on any IDE so it doesnt worry me
Advertisement
Regarding Intellisense on MSVC, you can turn it off. Regardless, the size of the database that it generates is irrelevant -- you shouldn't be storing these files in version control or otherwise be copying them around the place.

If you're using MSVC professionally, you should also be using Visual Assist (VAX), in which case you should turn off intellisense.

yes xcode is terrible
though on a mac, for speed, you need a decent amount of memory.
I went from 2gb -> 8gb & it literally speed my machine up 4x!

well, that's good, considering that you now have 4 times the memory you had...

Whilst MSVC is better than xcode in 90+ % of things, xcode's IDE is a joke (and yes unstable) compile speed is one thing where xcode seems to beat MSVC

try with MSVC 2012. biggrin.png
my point is mac's normally require quite a bit of memory
heres someone elses observation
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1479085/how-to-decrease-build-times-speed-up-compile-time-in-xcode

If you're not using 8GB of RAM, upgrade now.
I just upgraded my macbook pro from 4GB to 8GB. My project build time went from 2:10 to 0:45. I was floored by the improvement. It also makes web browsing for research snappier and general Xcode performance when indexing, etc.
[/quote]
even 4gb is not enuf, 8gb though is perfect. I can run 16 hours straight ~5million page in's and 0 page out's.
eg Ive just turned it on and only have started chrome yet Im using 3gb memory

It seems like I am the only person that is having huge problems with Xcode.

It constantly crashes :s

It never crashed with me O.o

It is constantly indexing, which uses a lot of cpu

Constantly indexing? It does that only when you open your project.

When you compile it is using a massively amount of system memory, which makes my laptop run very very slow

It takes 100MB of memory and 20% of my CPU when compiling.
For me it is a lot but it doesn't slow down my mac. How much does Visual Studio take?

Intellisense in C++ is crap if you compare it with visual studio
Intellisense does not work on std::vector std::map (so all stl libraries)

Intellisense is working fine with STL libraries for me.
It is working ok with my C++ code as well. By that I mean, it provides good sugestions, semantic checking, etc.

I think you can finally read wchar_t strings
In Visual Studio you can read out QStrings with intellisense without any problems, off course not in Xcode
etc.

If the special structures you are citing doesn't have a Summary ready for it, you can add you own evaluation string (XCode 4 at least).
Watch that video from a WWDC session that I cited on my earlier post about Debugging on XCode. You can even provide you own Python script for personalized summaries on any specific variable.

Has xcode support for extensions? I haven't found it

I have interest on that as well.
Apple provides some extensions from their own. I assume anyone can write one? I will look into it later.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
It takes 100MB of memory and 20% of my CPU when compiling.[/quote]
that doesnt sound right, IIRC when I compile in xcode my CPU usage is about 390% (4 cores working flatout)
perhaps you havent got your project setup 100% optimal (eg take advantage of all cores etc)
how this conversation got from artists to programmers =p
It was statement #2 in the original post...
wow, now i see.. for me isn't even a target platform, so, i will only say: my friend buyed a mac by aproximately 1.200 dolars (calculated based on the current value of the brazilian Real). he bought along with a lot that the company was buying.

his MAC now has a problem with the internal video (black screen), maintenance costs more than he paid, he is being forced to use an external monitor (it's an all-in-one). the sad part is, if he had bought a PC for the same price would have the same or better hardware, with a much cheaper maintenance.
macs are obsolete

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement