Question: Directing the view of the player: narrow vs broad

Started by
1 comment, last by DujekC 11 years, 8 months ago
I have no idea if this topic should go here (or, indeed, if it should go anywhere on this forum). However, here goes:

When we play a game, we are typically focusing on some parts of the game more then others. For example, in an FPS, you are paying a far greater degree of attention to the center of the screen, since most of the important action is happening there. At the same time, though, you (or most good players do) are also glancing things on there peripheries, whether searching for other players, or checking their ammo, health, minimap, ect. Compare that to a platformer (espeically the incredibly difficult ones of this day like Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV), in which you are almost only focusing on your character and the area directly around him.

What games do you think reward "tunnel vision" vs those that reward broad viewpoints? Which do you prefer as game devs?

I am aware that this is a rather odd and obscure question, but I'm hoping you guys could help out.

Thanks!

P.S: Anyone know somewhere where I could go for further reading on this topic? Maybe even somewhere on this website?
Advertisement
Anyone? Almost any response would be useful
I think I understand.

In my opinion, almost all games (except possible puzzle games) should have a broad veiwpoint. I should have access to as much information as possible without having to press too many buttons. As long as the UI isn't so bright that it detracts from the rest of the game I think this will work for most games.

If you look at a platformer like Super Meat Boy. I think if the screen was smaller (you could only see what was directly surrounding Meat Boy) it would be a terrible game, It would be impossible to plan where you're going next and time it right. Seeing almost all of a level at once is perfect for a game like that because there isn't that much your character can do at each location. So even if the viewpoint is fairly broad. You still have access to all the information you need (and more) to play the game to its fullest. Did that make sense? sorry.

Really though I can't see why this is a useful topic to consider. If it were me I'd probably experiment with both options (and other options in between the two) on a case by case basis then make a decision rather than deciding which viewpoint is best before I start.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement