• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Servant of the Lord

"Class descendant Class" selector in CSS

This topic is 2126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have two classes in CSS:

• .table_hidden
  • .table_left_column

I can't get the CSS selector to work to match this.

The selector:
    .table_hidden .table_left_column
    { vertical-align: top; color: red; }

The HTML:
    <table class="table_hidden">
    <tr><td align="center" colspan="2"><h2>Header</h2></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="table_left_column">Stuff</td><td>Text</td></tr>
    </table>

I'm expecting that, at the very least, the color of the text in the table should turn red - but it does not turn red.

Am I using the selector correctly?

Advertisement
Maybe
[source lang="css"]table.table_hidden > tr > td.table_left_column[/source]
? I believe it's something like that. Edited by Alpha_ProgDes

The selector looks correct.
Maybe you have another rule with a higher specificity that overwrites your selector?

What does firebug/whatever inspector you use show?

</facepalm>

The CSS was working fine, but (being inline <style> CSS returned from a shortcode) WordPress was puking <p> and </p> every few lines, just to make sure the CSS wouldn't parse correctly. rolleyes.gif

Which is weird, because I am 85% sure I checked the generated HTML as one of the first things I did to debug it.

Thanks anyway, and sorry for wasting your time.

I dont know if you intended for this to happen but what I get is Stuff is red the rest isn't. If you were going for it all to be red you are missing a comma in your css.
So instead of .table_hidden .table_left_column put a , inbetween them. If you intended on just stuff being red then why have .table_hidden in there at all? Just .table_left_column will do just fine. Edited by wicked357

Yes, the intention was that just "Stuff" is red. The reason why I needed ".table_hidden .table_left_column", was because I also have ".table_normal .table_left_column" and ".table_nice .table_left_column" - it's deliberate. Excellent catch though!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!