• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mastermind88

Oldschool effects using shaders

This topic is 2222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all!
Can you post in this thread any sources of shaders for cool post effects? Though, not only oldschool but any other cool stuff smile.png

p.s> I'm talking about OpenGL ES 2.0 shaders, but other shaders would be nice too Edited by mastermind88

Advertisement
You can implement more or less anything with GLSL shaders; if you want ready-made cool examples you should ask for something more specific, while if you want to reproduce something oldschool it is a straightforward reverse engineering and reimplementation task.

I don't know what you mean by "post effects", but you might find the shader-based simulation of CRT behaviour in emulators like MAME and Stella interesting.

Plasma effect, for example

Plasma effect is pretty trivial, it is basically a simple trigonometric (I think? can't remember what formula it is) warping of a two-dimensional space. In GLSL this would essentially translate to:
- reading the pixel coordinate for each pixel
- warping it according to the plasma formula
- reading the framebuffer at the new pixel coordinate
- write the resulting pixel to the original coordinates

One could add multisampling on top of that to avoid pixel loss and shearing due to the uneven gradient of the distortion field, but it wouldn't be oldschool anymore would it! smile.png Edited by Bacterius

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!