• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
falc410

Book recommendation for C++ wanted

This topic is 2221 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and still need some books to take with me. I've spend the last couple of years writing in Objective-C and C# but haven't touched C++ for like 10 years and I want to spend some time learning it again. The last time I read some books which covered only basic C++ and Directx 7/8. So I'm looking for a book which helps me get to learn the language very quickly and I'm proficient in OO (Java as well).

I know there are online ressources available, but I probably won't have internet access during the holidays, so a book would be the best.

Are there any recommendations? Maybe also coupled with Directx or general game development. I'm afraid that a beginners book which covers things like types and so on will be too boring for me, whereas an advanced book might be too complex since I need to get to learn the syntax first again.

I have a Mac with Xcode and Windows VM for Visual Studio with me during the trip, so I should be covered on the IDE side.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
I would recommend Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo.

It does start from the beginning, but it's very concise (~300 pages) and by the end of it you will have a very firm grasp of the way C++ likes you to think, which is really a very different mindset from that of C#, java or Objective-C. The way types 'work' in C++ differs quite a bit from the way they work in Java, so revisiting the fundamentals might not be such a bad idea.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the C++11 additions, but then very few books do at the moment.

It also doesn't cover Direct-X or anything outside the C++98 standard, but I'm not sure jumping in to that stuff without having the fundamentals down is a good idea, anyway. Edited by e?dd

Personnally i like "C pocket reference" for it's simplicity, but might not be a good book for learning though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!