Book recommendation for C++ wanted

Started by
3 comments, last by the_edd 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi,

I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and still need some books to take with me. I've spend the last couple of years writing in Objective-C and C# but haven't touched C++ for like 10 years and I want to spend some time learning it again. The last time I read some books which covered only basic C++ and Directx 7/8. So I'm looking for a book which helps me get to learn the language very quickly and I'm proficient in OO (Java as well).

I know there are online ressources available, but I probably won't have internet access during the holidays, so a book would be the best.

Are there any recommendations? Maybe also coupled with Directx or general game development. I'm afraid that a beginners book which covers things like types and so on will be too boring for me, whereas an advanced book might be too complex since I need to get to learn the syntax first again.

I have a Mac with Xcode and Windows VM for Visual Studio with me during the trip, so I should be covered on the IDE side.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Advertisement
The cplusplus.com tutorial includes an offline PDF version ~> http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/.
I would recommend Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo.

It does start from the beginning, but it's very concise (~300 pages) and by the end of it you will have a very firm grasp of the way C++ likes you to think, which is really a very different mindset from that of C#, java or Objective-C. The way types 'work' in C++ differs quite a bit from the way they work in Java, so revisiting the fundamentals might not be such a bad idea.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the C++11 additions, but then very few books do at the moment.

It also doesn't cover Direct-X or anything outside the C++98 standard, but I'm not sure jumping in to that stuff without having the fundamentals down is a good idea, anyway.
Personnally i like "C pocket reference" for it's simplicity, but might not be a good book for learning though.
Edit: Quoted my own post rather than editing :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement