• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Saint Squireen

Compiling a Desktop Application?

This topic is 2292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anybody know how to "Compile" a desktop application? I use "Compile" loosely because I don't know if thats the term I am looking for. Basically all I want to do is be able to have an app on my desktop that I can just click or double click and open it and run my game. P.S.- A plus if I can share the app easily, such as linking it in an email (if its small enough of corse) or file share it.

Advertisement
I am on windows and the only programs and games that I have written so far are basic coding (only text). No sounds, colors, shapes or any of that awesome stuff. Btw, I am using QT as my coding application (because I am practicing widgets and all that). So do you know how to make an executable for that?

Clearly if you are using Qt and are under Windows you are already producing executables in some fashion. They should be in your project's bin folder somewhere (make sure your file explorer is not set to "hide known file extensions"). Then you can double-click on the .exe and it should produce a console window and run your program.

Note sometimes the console window immediately closes once your program ends (this doesn't happen while developing because your IDE prevents it from doing that), to prevent this put a system("PAUSE") or a readln() before the final return which will hang the program until you hit a key to exit.

About sharing, make sure you only hand out release builds, because otherwise your program might need extra developer libraries that the person you're sharing the program with probably doesn't have.

Thanks I'll be sure to try this. I'm not capable of reaching my computer yet but I will soon. I'll post back either asking for help or saying thank you but either way, I'll post back. Thanks again:)

For some reason i dont have any dll's or anything like that. Also i get this image?text box saying "The program can't start because mingwm10.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." What do i do now?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!