Best program for pixel art (and possibly animation?)

Started by
5 comments, last by Ravyne 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi there, I'm currently working on a small project (just a hobby) and I need a program to help me with pixel art and possibly animation too.

Does anyone know of any good programs to use for this?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I use Gimp but some people think it is too much for pixel art. In that case, look at GraphicsGale - quite possible the best pixel art software.

Also, try googling your question before asking. wink.png
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
Like TheVirtualDragon said, GraphicsGale is probably your best bet since it's well geared towards pixel art and free. I'm pretty sure it has animated .gif capability, too. I haven't used GIMP in a while, but it had a pretty horrific interface when I did and is loaded with superfluous features for pixel art besides.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Yeah, GraphicsGale has animating capabilities as well and can be run in wine if you are on Linux. I don't use it though, because I don't like the Win95 feel. And besides, Gimp's interface has improved loads - no more floating docks biggrin.png
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

Yeah, GraphicsGale has animating capabilities as well and can be run in wine if you are on Linux. I don't use it though, because I don't like the Win95 feel.

Ha, but that's just atmosphere!

And besides, Gimp's interface has improved loads - no more floating docks[/quote]
Yeah, thinking about it, it has been years and years since I've looked at it, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Personally, I use a weird combination of MS Paint for the base pixel art and Photoshop for polishing, but I would have to recommend against that since it's a roundabout workflow I'm still perfecting. I think for a beginner, it would be better to start with a mid-level program like GraphicsGale than something brutally simple (Paint) or overwrought for the job (GIMP).

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Thanks for the posts, I'll probably go pickup GraphicsGale, it looks quite good!
It's a for-cost program, but personally I really like Cosmigo's ProMotion. It's modeled after DeluxePaint in terms of features, and DeluxePaint was *the* image editor back in pixel art's heyday.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement