Apple wins over Samsung: thoughts?

Started by
86 comments, last by Heath 11 years, 7 months ago
I think the case is far more detailed an nuanced than the media tends to make it out to be.

They are having similar lawsuits in almost every major nation right now.

South Korea's verdict yesterday was perhaps the best; both companies were found to infringe on each other, and both companies were blocked from selling their products.

The US verdict is actually very narrow compared to what it could have been; Samsung won a few minor points, Apple won on a few more minor points, but neither side is getting major declaration they wanted.

I think the case feels like children fighting, "He's in my space!", "He has more red candy than me!", "He's breathing my air!". Thankfully the Korean victory of both sides getting their desired injunction will force them to the bargaining table. It's like the parent taking the candy away after they fight over it. I was hoping the US verdict would have been similar.
Advertisement

They are having similar lawsuits in almost every major nation right now.

South Korea's verdict yesterday was perhaps the best; both companies were found to infringe on each other, and both companies were blocked from selling their products.

I guess we can see how biases affect court decisions in all over the world -- the fact that the courtroom is in Silicon Valley, and I wonder how many of those 9 jury use iPhone and are probably Apple fans?

And obviously, why would South Koreans favor an American company vs. their own company, right?
I believe that both US and South Korean decisions are somewhat influenced by nationalism, but the Korean decision seems more fair - slap down both offenders. The US decision seems both horribly biased and unwise. I wonder whether FRAND patents should be allowable as defensive patents only. Imagine two companies who create the same amount of IP, but company A can sue company B while happily using company B's FRAND IP with impunity.

Seems very narrow-minded about protecting US industries and about patents.

I don't think such would be possible in Europe or elsewhere! Really I feel sorry and sickening with you US guys.

I'll stop supporting Apple...

There are far too many lawsuits, I feel - so I agree with the guys who are appalled by the stream of them which seem to be increasing and not decreasing.angry.png

It should be a worldwide mandate to greatly reduce the number of lawyers, laws, civil courts, and the need for them.

Last time I knew Apple was the most capitalized company in the world, beating past holders such as Microsoft and General Motors. Apple is a gigantic power in the world now and its influence will likely increase at least in the coming several years. Expect Apple mobile based and OS X compatible games to increase if they have their way, which will give Microsoft a long needed toe to toe fight in software competition in general. We wlll probably see more cross-platform games in the future because of the surge of Apple. In this sense the competition caused by Apples's growth is good for game developers but in order for Apple to keep growing I expect to read about many more huge lawsuits between Apple and other companies.

Couldn't the billions of dollars spent on lawsuits and IT lobbyists at local, state, and federal levels be better spent elsewhere, such as finding a cure for cancer or providing health insurance for all employees?

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

@3Ddreamer, reducing litigation would not contribute towards a cure for cancer. Also, I detest it when people use that as if it's really an alternative. Unless, of course, there really is a cure that's being suppressed by litigation somewhere. Not everyone is Jonah Salk.

It should be a worldwide mandate to greatly reduce the number of lawyers, laws, civil courts, and the need for them.
Now you're just expecting the world to make sense.
If Apple would have invented the wheel, we all would have to pay...hmm 1000.- per wheel (4000 for a new car). Yes, it's that insane!
It would be amusing if millenia ago, someone actually tried to claim a monopoly on wheels. Then, in a case of prehistoric irony, he was run over and killed, and all humanity benefited from then on.
The patent and law system in the US already destroyed a lot of good companies, products and people - so no surpríses here. It has been a war for years but in recent years this has become an outrage, its on a peak and is getting worse and worse. There are "companies" which only do this patent sueing thingy. On my behalf, I'm extremely disappointed by Apple for taking such steps (again), as they know(!) that this is the lowest thing the can do - even if they have won.

Apple hereby is dead for me, as I do not want to support such behavior. I advise you to do the same, it's realy the only right thing you can do as a customer and developer!

"Yes we can!"
The current amount of manhours spent in courtrooms these days is a huge drain on resources in my opinion. A direct cure for cancer, no. But if a few people became scientists, engineers, teachers or doctors instead of lawyers, bankers or politicians, the world would likely be a better place. Sadly unlikely to happen until the next revolution in country X, and even then only for a couple of years. *sigh*
I think it's pretty clear Samsung copied Apple.

I think $1b is a ridiculous sum.

And I think I'm still going to but the apple products I buy because I like them.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement