Visual Studio 2012 ruined everything

Started by
11 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 11 years, 7 months ago
I worked for around a year on a DirectX Framework in C++ in Visual Studio 2010.Then I made the horrible mistake of getting the new one - after I installed it the DirectX SDK samples started having all sorts of problems,I couldn't even compile audio libraries that I could with 2010,I heard others had the same problems after installing it with the new .NET 4.5.It also replaced some of the C++ core libraries I think,because after I spent 5 hours uninstalling this abomination(along with the other 30 things that installed along with it,my project started missing about 120 headers('excpt.h','crtdbg.h','string.h',pretty much everything).I uninstalled both 2010 and 2012,uninstalled all the .NET versions and the SDK and everything,then reinstalled 2010,.NET 4 and the SDK.The missing 120 headers problem still persists...what can I do to fix this?
Advertisement
Install vs2012 and fix the problems. D3D is now part of the windows SDK.
Try reinstalling any Windows SDKs too. Just a guess.
Interesting. I have 2010 and 2012 installed side by side, and have seen nothing like you describe. My D3D apps compile fine under both.

That said, I *have* seen similar problems using the vc11 rc version - that definitely did overwrite some existing d3d debug libs/dlls and caused some headaches.

The first thing to so is find out whether you actually have the files it can't find anywhere. I suspect you do, and either an environment variable or registry setting left over from your previous install is telling the compiler to look in the wrong place for your headers. The next thing to do is to find out where your compiler is looking for the files.
[size="1"]

Interesting. I have 2010 and 2012 installed side by side, and have seen nothing like you describe. My D3D apps compile fine under both.

That said, I *have* seen similar problems using the vc11 rc version - that definitely did overwrite some existing d3d debug libs/dlls and caused some headaches.

The first thing to so is find out whether you actually have the files it can't find anywhere. I suspect you do, and either an environment variable or registry setting left over from your previous install is telling the compiler to look in the wrong place for your headers. The next thing to do is to find out where your compiler is looking for the files.

but I'm running Windows 7 and it required me some .dlls from after the DirectX June 2010 SDK has been made,like Windows 8 dlls,for instance it requires me to have XAudio2_8.dll,even tho the DirectX SDK has only XAudio2_7.dll.Is there a way to download the latest Windows SDK(the one you sad has directx in it and that probably has the .dll i need + the 100 missing libraries) and use it under Windows7?I'm not into buying Win8 right now Q_Q
Actually uninstalling VS 11 is quite easy, much unlike previous versions. I've been following it since the earliest release after last year's BUILD, and I never had any problems with my VS 2010 install. It is generally a very bad idea to uninstall a system component. And what does .net have to do with c++? Unless you use some of the 3.5+ features, I really don't see any sense in installing it (by default, you've got 2.0 in XP SP3, 3.0 in Vista and 3.5 in Win 7). VS installs a lot of stuff, but so far my experience has been smooth.

Anyhow, I don't recommend installing pre-release versions of VS on your dev PC - I usually do it on a VBox. That way you get to test all the Win8 stuff as well.

I would recommend to try and restore windows. VS must set a restore point before its installation. Just back-up your project on external HDD and restore. Restore has saved my ass quite often. Don't bother with manually installing and reinstalling. I guess there are better backup strategies, but that's what I've used and it mostly works. Best of luck with this mess!
I also have VS2010 and 2012 side by side with no problems on Windows 7. It's also no longer pre-release software, so if you were using 2012RC make sure you download the latest release version.

Is there a way to download the latest Windows SDK(the one you sad has directx in it and that probably has the .dll i need + the 100 missing libraries) and use it under Windows7?

You can get it here.

It's the Windows 8 SDK but it works fine for Windows 7.
Did you uninstall VS2010 and then tried to install VS2012 as this caused me issues before with 2008 and 2010 without rebooting in between. The only fix I found was to uninstall everything VS related and restart the install procedure.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

I had this issue. After installing SP1 for VS 2010 (or it was 2012? I forget) all my issues went away - but depends what error were you getting?

I also have VS2010 and 2012 side by side with no problems on Windows 7. It's also no longer pre-release software, so if you were using 2012RC make sure you download the latest release version.

[quote name='mrheisenberg' timestamp='1346000697' post='4973508']
Is there a way to download the latest Windows SDK(the one you sad has directx in it and that probably has the .dll i need + the 100 missing libraries) and use it under Windows7?

You can get it here.

It's the Windows 8 SDK but it works fine for Windows 7.
[/quote]

ok I did all that and most of the libraries are now in place,some trouble was that they slightly renamed most dx headers in the Win8 SDK,but one thing I don't understand - it says in msdn:
Note The D3DX (D3DX 9, D3DX 10, and D3DX 11) utility library is deprecated for Windows 8 and is not supported for Metro style apps.
Create a data processor for a shader asynchronously[/quote] for <d3dx11async.h>
Does that mean there is a replacement header for it?I can't find anything about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement