How to take ideas from one game and not make it copyrighted?

Started by
3 comments, last by Heath 11 years, 7 months ago
So I am thinking about designing an MMO/Sandbox Game for the future of our Dev Team and I have many great ideas to make it an awesome game. BUT, I have run into a problem. Some of the gameplay is based around another MMO. Before implementing this sort of copied gameplay style, what should I do? Do I contact the makers of the referenced game? Also, if you are interested in helping me create the game, please don't hesitate to message me. Please answer my question if you know it. :)

Thanks to all who replied!
Advertisement
Gameplay isn't covered by copyright. (It can, in some insane countries be protected by patents but that is fortunatly enough still fairly rare when it comes to games)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Gameplay isn't covered by copyright. (It can, in some insane countries be protected by patents but that is fortunatly enough still fairly rare when it comes to games)

Thanks for the quick reply! Thats awesome to hear, I can't wait to start the game design.
Just remember that other things are protected. (characters, etc)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I do recall reading that a particular control scheme in The Mark of Kri (PS2) was patented by its developers. It was therefore never used by another company, and Mark of Kri had only one sequel, about which I never heard a thing. And that was it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement