Choices within games and their effect on the player's path through the game

Started by
3 comments, last by AoS 11 years, 7 months ago
Do most people want the ability to "do everything" the first time they play thru a game or are people willing to have the choices they make limit the path they take thru the game? I personal think players like the idea that the choices they make have an impact on the game.
For example Mass Effect (original) you have to choose which character dies.

I ask this because I am at a cross roads in a game's development and either option is do able.
Therefore, any feedback is more than helpful!
Thank you.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Advertisement
There's a thread already related to this here:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/630041-alternate-routes/
Ah. Thank you.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

The problem is when the choices only affect a small part of the game play, especially if the changes don't affect the end or the beginning. It's lame to be expected to replay a game for 15% differences or less.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The problem is when the choices only affect a small part of the game play, especially if the changes don't affect the end or the beginning. It's lame to be expected to replay a game for 15% differences or less.

Conversely if choices are too important players will whine and bitch that they didn't get to do every exact thing and have every exact outcome that they wanted. And god forbid making poor choices affects your ability to finish a game instead of altering some random story aspect.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement