• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
igna92ts

about UDK

This topic is 2298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am learning c++ at college and im loving it so far i also decided to learn directx.
I wanted to start learning to make a game with a friend and I was thinking of making it with UDK but my question is; will I have any use for c++/directx knowledge in a UDK project ??

PS: I am a total noob to game development so I don't know if this is a stupid question but I want to know before learning it if there is a way to "integrate" this 2 thingsin one project.

PS2: I don't care your opinion if you think some of this is too hard for a begginer or something, this is what I want to learn

Advertisement
The current UDK version uses Unreal Script for the logic behind your game.
It looks like a mix of C++/Java/C# language.
With UDK you'r also able to use the Kismet editor, which is like a drag and drop editor for the game logic.

If you want to learn DirectX then I recommend you not to use UDK because you won't see any useable code. The better start would be a Book or some online Tutorials on how to start out with DirectX.

You also get alot more of an understanding whats behind DirectX and you improve your Programming skills alot more when starting with the Basics.

Best Regards

C++ knowledge will map into UDK, it uses its own language but the structure of it is based off of C I think so you should be fine. Directx won't help, UDK sticks the graphics code under multiple layers of abstraction, something like loading a 3d model and displaying it on screen would have taken a fair bit of code in C++ and directX but in UDK gets abstracted to just a handful of lines, it does the hard work for you.

And is there a good engine that uses c++ to code? (with good i mean pro quality like udk) because i have to learn c++ for college and i dont have time to learn c++, another language and how to use the engine at the same time

and i dont have time to learn c++, another language and how to use the engine at the same time

Heh, welcome to the the sorry state our industry is currently in (a new language for every platform, phone, mobile device and even game engine).

Stick with C/C++ and either DirectX or OpenGL. That way you wont be wasting your time when the "latest trend" comes out.

If you do not have time to write *everything* yourself, I suggest open-source 3D engines such as Irrlicht which can use both DirectX and OpenGL whilst also providing almost all functionality required to create a high quality game. (If you need more functionality... you chose open-source so you can add it in smile.png)

UDK is used in AAA titles in a very different way to how we would. I.e they get the full C++ source bindings to it (they pay money for the privilege). Large game development companies would never tie themselves down to just UnrealScript lol. Edited by Karsten_

Ogre3d and irrlicht are the ones most in reach (ie completely open source etc etc). CryEngine has a free for non-commercial license available and uses C++, it is however meant to be incredibly difficult to use, how so compared to making a game using ogre or irrlicht I don't know. You could also just roll your own rendering code with directx or openGL.

If i focus on finishing learning c++ (dont give me any you never stop learning c++ things) for now and then try to learn to use UDK how hard would be the transition from c++ to unrealscript??

unrealscript is structured similarly to C++ so really you should be fine, its meant to be easier than C++ apparently. I couldn't say, I don't know either of them.

Could someone make a list of the tool I would need to make a complete game with udk?
Things like 3ds max,photoshoop , etc and what are they for??
I am a beginner in gamedev and I would like to work with udk what i want to know which tool would help me make a better game. I dont care that I have to learn how to use those tools too, I have time :)

Well you'll need 3d models, textures and sound.

Several tools exist for 3d modelling of course, the ones I know of that get used and work with UDK:

• Autodesk Maya <- Very expensive I think
  • 3ds Max <- I know next to nothing about it, I assume its not free
  • Blender <- Harder to use but its free

I don't know what model format is used in UDK natively but I would assume that it should be able to load either .obj, .dae or .fbx at some point during the import process. EIther way I have heard of all the above 3 being used for UDK development.

Anything that can use PNG or DDS textures with things like alpha channels will do, photoshop or GIMP are probably your 2 main choices there. GIMP is free and photoshop is not.
    Microsoft pain of course is a little limited and only supports RGB which isnt enough, paint.net is probably missing too many features aswell.

Sound I honestly have no idea. Audacity can be used for tweaking stuff. I don't know what formats UDK supports for sound so you would have to check before trying to import an ogg and finding that udk can't play it.

I'm pretty sure some of the tutorials will give good recommendations on which tools work well alongside UDK development.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!