What term describes the following: "Camera following a moving object around"?

Started by
8 comments, last by Bacterius 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm looking for a term or programming jardon that describes the following passage:

A camera follows a moving object around. The object stays in the center of the camera, unless it reaches an obstacle or the edge of a map. It's like the camera in Starcraft 2, where the camera follows a moving unit around, and keeps panning at the same unit.
[/quote]

Is there a vocabulary / term / jardon for this? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I don't know for sure, but could it be Motion Capture?

EDIT: Also, I think it is Jargon, not Jardon
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
Yes, jargon. And no, there's no single term for that, probably the shortest way to put it is to pick an example like "zelda-like camera" or "sc2-like camera".

Motion capture is creating animations for models from live footage of an actor, not what tom_mai asked for, but still way cool ;)
I don't know that there's a specific term for that, but it sounds like an overhead "chase"-camera.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would call the "following around" simply "tracking", I think this is the professional word, too. It's what you'd call it when firing a missle at an airplane anyway ("target tracking").

The "blocked by obstacle or end of map" bit could be named "with physics simulation" or "with collision checking", if you will. Though I guess this kind of behaviour is just the "normal" behaviour one would expect from a camera, and it's kind of superfluous pointing it out. Few people own virtual cameras, they wouldn't assume that the camera (and the cameraman) in the game can walk through walls, because they can't.
I've run across it many times as an "arcball" camera

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Samoth got it, the term, at least in film, is tracking.
But, "tracking" is more closely related to "A service logging the actions the user has done." Such as, "I created a tracking app." It may bring up mixed results. "Chase" on the other hand seems plausible enough. I'm just not sure.

At least, I have some answers. Thanks again!
Third person view?
Snap

edit: downvotes for?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement