• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yats55

How did Konami do their snes graphics?

This topic is 2120 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Mainly Castlevania 4 and Conra 3. The human sprites were kind of realistic. I don't know if anyone would know, but did Konami use any techique to doing sprites, or was the whole thing hand drawn on a paint program? (Speaking of that, what graphic programs did Japanese developers such as Konami, Capcom use for those games back then? Same as ours, DPaint, etc?)

Advertisement
I fail to see what's so realistic about them, other than their proportions. They don't seem to be any more realistic or better animated than other games of the day.

I'd wager they were just hand-drawn, maybe with reference photos or something, but it doesn't even look rotoscoped to me (a technique where you film an actor and then draw over it frame by frame).

D Paint was pretty entrenched back then, its a likely candidate, but Japanese developers might have had access to other platforms and software. There were entire computer architectures (like the MSX and FX) that were popular over there and barely even known here, like how the Brits had Acorns and RiscOS platforms, aroudn the time we had early PCs, Atari STs, and Amiga's here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!