World scale RTS

Started by
9 comments, last by marc40000 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm entertaining an interesting game concept:
A real-time strategy game that happens on a world-scale map.
In the game, you start out as a certain country on the map of the earth, and you start to evolve & conquer.
The map is a huge fractally generated map of the earth.

Using different zooming levels, you can micro-manage commando operations.
Or in a larger scale, move whole armies around to attack.

Building, will have the same principles:
Build a unique & beautiful city with important landmarks a-la Rome.
Or just macro create an boring templated one ( Los Angles :-) ) to increase your population.

The main concept of the game is to play at different scales:
Instead of pressing a region on the map and waiting for the battle to load, the player seamlessly zooms in and out (Google earth style).
The detail, and control mechanisms (how many units are selected) change automatically by the level of zoom.

I think this will be my next project.

But I'm wondering, does a game like this already exist?

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Advertisement
The closest thing I've seen is the Superpower series of games. After playing one of them, you'll realize why more people haven't tried to make something like this -- the scope is so large and unstructured that many features are underdeveloped and the game as a whole is extremely unbalanced.
Superpower even gained many prizes. It boasts having the largest 'real-life' database input for country startup powers, political parties, finances, etc.
It IS very sick, but isn't quite an RTS per se. It's more like a serious game, or some form of sim economy, politics and warfare.

For your idea, if you'd like, you could also include the FPS mode and you'd have a pretty kickass MMO/FPS but good luck with that.

For your idea, if you'd like, you could also include the FPS mode and you'd have a pretty kickass MMO/FPS but good luck with that.

he'd have a huge project that even EA won't be able to finish smile.png

he'd have a huge project that even EA won't be able to finish smile.png

And that is before orbital combat is included!

And that is before orbital combat is included!

make it a sci-fy RTS and I would love to participate rolleyes.gif
I think it could be done and its one of those things that in your head seems awesome (my first thought when I read it too) but in practice it might just end up being a bit of a mess and not fun to play.

I think it could be done and its one of those things that in your head seems awesome (my first thought when I read it too) but in practice it might just end up being a bit of a mess and not fun to play.

just as every idea i have =/
Of course there are many challenging aspects. But one could have creative solutions.
Balance as an example: why have balance? Conquer the world as the US for the easiest mission (level one). Enforce world peace by ruling from Afghanistan as the hardest mission.

Regarding the fps part. I like the idea, but I don't think I can do it. Fps games are so different from RTS games, that I would need three different engines.

I checked out superpowers. Graphically and ux wise it looks very similar to what I want to achieve. But gameplay wise it looks completely different.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Ya, I was being silly obviously.
A big part of the appeal of Superpower is the abstraction it creates. Tanks are just one icon with a number etc. Without abstraction, such a massive game really can't be played at all, so FPS would just destroy the concept and make it unbearable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement