OpenAL on Mac?

Started by
4 comments, last by pmvstrm 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm an experienced OpenAL programmer/user here, but I'm having one heck of a hard time getting it to work on Mac OSX. I originally wrote my OpenAL code for Windows, very easy. Then I ported it over to iOS with minimal effort and even got it working on my first try. Now I port my code directly over to Mac OSX, nope, doesn't work! I have absolutely no idea why it's not working. I haven't found any tutorials or code on using OpenAL on Mac OSX either, so I don't know whether I missed any steps or not. Do I have to do anything special to the .xib file? That's what I had to do to get OpenGL to work on Mac OSX (and that was also a nightmare), but I honestly have absolutely NO idea why my code works on every other platform except MacOSX. This sucks. Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Attached my entire OpenAL source code files for those who want to see it. It's a bit messy, but it works fine on Windows and iOS.
Advertisement
Isn't alut depreceated? I recently had no problems on Ubuntu/OSX/Windosw but I used sdl for sound loading. There should be tons of Linux/Unix tutorials, simply grab one.
ALUT is depreciated, but I'm not using that. I'm using my own .wav reading functions.

I've been searching Google and I haven't seen any Unix based tutorials, and even Windows based tutorials are becoming scarce enough as it is.
SFML contains OpenAL cross platform code you might find useful to help with the porting.
Thanks for your replies. I did manage to find the problem, but it turns out that it's not code related. In order to fix the problem, I had to switch the processer architecture to 32-bit (i386) instead of 64-bit (x86-64). IMO, this might be a bit of a problem for future Mac OSX releases.

I have yet to see any support for OpenAL on 64-bit Mac applications, but I'd rather keep my OpenAL code if possible, but not at the expense of risking future compatibility. Any ideas?
Try http://kcat.stranges...l.html#download

OpenAL Soft. Its not properitary like OpenAL now and can be build with GCC on Linux/Unix and 32 and 64-Bit MacOSX 10.5/10.6./10.7/.10.8
Bit Shared object and on Windows as DLL. Its comes with a CMake buildsystem, so you also can build it easly on a non posix ready platform
like Win32 with Visual C/C++. Its tiny and robust like freeglut and i like a much. You have 3D-Audio and Realtime Sound.

Peter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement