• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
L. Spiro

[DirectX 9] Additional Swap Chain’s Depth/Stencil Buffers

This topic is 2215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It is easy to get the system-provided depth/stencil buffers for the device’s default swap-chain, but how does one get the depth/stencil buffers created in a call to CreateAdditionalSwapChain()?

I know I have the option of just making one manually but the documentation does not say that the AutoDepthStencilFormat member of the presentation parameters is ignored, so I am assuming it is making one. I just can’t find the function to access it.

L. Spiro

Advertisement
That's an interesting question... Are you sure that it does respect the AutoDepthStencilFormat parameter? The 'Objects' window in PIX should be able to confirm whether a depth surface is created or not.

From my own view of the API, it does seem that there is no way to fetch this depth buffer, if it is being created... huh.png

PIX is a good idea. I don’t have time right now but I can modify some example code to enable the AutoDepthStencilFormat feature on both windows and see what it shows.
I will post the results afterwards but it will probably be tomorrow or Saturday.

L. Spiro

I had a few minutes to spare.
PIX confirms that AutoDepthStencilFormat is ignored by CreateAdditionalSwapChain().
Nice to know, nicer if it was documented.

This topic is apparently the very fist documentation of this fact anywhere.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Does+CreateAdditionalSwapChain+ignore+AutoDepthStencilFormat

L. Spiro

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!