The Novices Guide to becoming a game Programmer and artist!.

Started by
21 comments, last by chris3d165 11 years, 7 months ago
Hello Viewers .
Im sure topics similar to this have been posted the only trouble is the material isn't quit all covered as to what im looking for and that's why i need help, me and alot of other beginners, please this is not intended to be a troll post please keep any negitive replies outside we are looking for help and not discouragements this thread is one that has questions that allot of beginners could benefit from, Now lets get started the first thing is programming i tried and failed i picked up a C++ book dived straight in but had hell and turned away but now ill try again with the help of you good readers with experiences and for the real question what is the proper way to begin programming in c++ and basically programming in general what should one learn prerequisite to diving into the real programming what topics should be covered in order to better understand it and also to be able to think like a programmer please name everything topic needed and also books that you guys would recommend we the beginners get and next what are some skills outside of IT that would also benefit. Next how about math what type is needed when programming per say games .Now onto the art side of things Lets talk architecture Where does one begin to learn about creating buildings and in my case buildings from the medieval times Where could i get started What books could be recommended and please guys don't just throw a book at us that you just so happened to see in amazon's search.A proper reference as to how to think like a medieval carpenter,architect would be much appreciated Id like to know how to become very creative and expand upon whats already made so that when 3d modeling comes the buildings aren't too generic but rather slightly more original and allot more interesting to look at ,the next thing is not only the outside but interiors and do you guys know good material not only books but videos and documentaries on medieval life ,tools they used, basically how the medieval times was broken down as in how was things back then.Now the other issue terrain where do i get started on building professional terrain that fits medieval times and lastly,Texturing the more colorful side of things where do you learn to make textures for clothes,skin and anything that's more on the complex side can you guys post references and tutorials thank you all i hope this thread becomes filled with inspiring , motivational words that come from great people with experience that love helping those that need it thank you readers im looking forward to seeing what's next
Advertisement
Firstly, I'm not trying to be mean, but could you put at least a minimal effort into formatting your post to be readable? If you could edit your post to include some line breaks (i.e. use your return key!) and better punctuation you'll be much more likely to receive good responses -- as-is it's extremely difficult to read your post.

Secondly, from what I could make out after several attempts to read your post, it looks like you're really asking exactly the same questions as most other beginners -- perhaps you should try reading the responses they have already been given...

Good luck! Perhaps if you re-format your post to be more readable you will be able to get more specific help.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Im sure topics similar to this have been posted, but the trouble is the material isn't quite all covered exactly as I'd like, so that's why i need help.
This is not intended to be a troll post; please keep any negitive replies outside. I am looking for help, not discouragement.
This thread is one that has questions that a lot of beginners could benefit from. Now lets get started...

The first topic is programming:
I've tried and failed. I picked up a C++ book dived straight in, but had a bad time and gave up. Now I'll try again with the help of you good readers. The real questions are:
* what is the proper way to begin programming in c++?
* what is the proper way to begin programming in general?
* what prerequisites should one learn before diving in to programming?
* what topics should be covered in order to better understand programming and also to be able to think like a programmer?

Please name every topic needed to answer these questions, and also books that you guys would recommend to beginners.
Also, if there's any non-IT skills that are beneficial to beginner-programmers, please share guidance in these areas as well.

The next topic is math:
*What types of math are needed when programming games?

Now onto the art side of things:
Regarding architecture, where does one begin to learn about creating buildings (and in my case, specifically medieval buildings)?

Where could i get started? What books would you recommend? Before answering, please don't just name a book that you've only seen in an amazon search without actually reading.
For example, I'd personally appreciate a proper reference as to how to think like a medieval carpenter, architect.

I'd like to know how to become very creative so that I can expand upon whats already made. For example, when I model a building, it would ideally not be generic, but rather slightly more original and a lot more interesting to look at than my references.

Moving on from external architecture, I have questions regarding interiors.
I need to find useful material -- not only books but, also videos and documentaries -- on medieval life, the tools they used, and how people lived in that period.

Another topic of interest is terrain:
Where do i get started on building professional terrain that fits medieval times?

Lastly, texturing:
Where do you learn to make textures for clothes, skin and other complex subjects? Can someone post references and tutorials?

Thank you all. I hope this thread becomes filled with inspiring, motivational words that come from great people with experience who love helping those that need it. Thank you readers im looking forward to seeing what's next.
FTFY
thankyou

Ok not very motivational... and thanks this was my second thread i had trouble with my first and though i did a better job this time i think im going to leave gb.net im not very welcome here and i fear my dreams will be crushed... time to go to stack overflow i herd their's less hot heads on there.but thankyou for help with word formatting ill use it there well this was the first forum ive ever used, we all learned how to walk in our lives at some point right ?

Chill my friend, jbadams offered some thoughtful yet direct advice to help you get a better response. I looked at your block of text and hovered over the Back button before I saw that Hodgman had kindly formatted your post to be much more readable.

In my opinion, there's way too many questions in your opening post. In my browsing experience of this site, asking 1 or 2 questions succinctly usually yields a far better response from members. For example, I'm looking at your first set of questions and am already turning away from responding as to answer the rest in any reasonable amount of time is just not practical or realistic. At best you might get a 1 or 2 sentence response for each question but what is more likely is that people will simply turn away. That's not a fault of this community, it's just how most people are when overwhelmed with a wall of information.

Anyway, focusing on your first set of questions:

The first topic is programming:
I've tried and failed. I picked up a C++ book dived straight in, but had a bad time and gave up. Now I'll try again with the help of you good readers. The real questions are:
* what is the proper way to begin programming in c++?
* what is the proper way to begin programming in general?
* what prerequisites should one learn before diving in to programming?
* what topics should be covered in order to better understand programming and also to be able to think like a programmer?[/quote]

I would strongly advise against learning C++ as a first language. IMHO, there's far better ways of learning programming without the head-banging-against-a-wall exercise of picking C++ as your first experience. You need to be clear with what your goals are: do you wish to make games first and foremost, or learn programming for academic reasons? If the former, using an off the shelf product like Unity 3d would get the ball rolling much quicker and you'll have the opportunity to dip your toes into programming in a more forgiving environment via it's scripting interface. Plus, there's a vibrant community and lots of resources so you could get your first basic game knocked out in as little as a weekend with a bit of determination.

Here's a friendly piece of advise that i suggest you take in good faith: if you want to get better at anything in life that's a challenge, learn to let setbacks and (constructive) criticism in your stride. If you fail at the first hurdle by taking legitimate criticism to heart, I absolutely guarantee the chances of you achieving your goals becomes vanishingly small. You have to be in it for the long haul which means being prepared to bounce back when you feel you've got no bounce left in you. If you turn away at the slightest bit of perceived discouragement then you really have the odds of success stacked against your favour.
I would always recommend python as a first language.
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python <- interactive tutorial website, don't even need to install python right away. Will need a modern browser on windows though (may work on mac, probably won't on linux, think it uses silverlight). Internet explorer is not considered a modern browser here, theres a fair bit of HTML5 in there which IE just chokes on apparently (i've not tried it myself, I actually went into add/remove windows features and disabled internet explorer long ago).

Anyway, C++ is a needlessly complex language for a beginner, it can be head bang on wall for experts occasionally. Python on the other hand is almost like well structured english. Its dead simple and easy to learn and the knowledge gained is then relevant to learning other languages including C++ eventually.

Prerequisite wise, for basic introductory programming, common sense and patience. Later on some basic maths skills might be important. For graphics though both 2d and 3d you will need trigonometry.

And the phrase grammar nazi is handy here. Not everyone visiting this forum speaks english as a first language (sometimes not even second or third). If we are to help you really it you need to write clear and concise posts, for those who speak english as a first language it helps us decypher your meaning and get more relevant help to you. Those who's english may not even include knowing what decypher means it will be an extra bonus as they can break your post into chunks while trying to translate it into their native language. The classic phrase "Help me help you" comes to mind.
Im going with 6677 on starting with python thanks allot
What would the time line be if you guys were to lay it out on learning programming languages.

For example:

Python,Java,C++

I would like to know where to start and what to move onto, not to say im going to rush but more of an idea of what i should go after.
There doesn't necessarily need to be a progression. For instance, in 18-some years of programming, I've never found a need to muck with Java. What you should worry about instead of language progression, is learning one language really well. Once you have a strong grasp on programming, you will understand that the differences between most languages is very superficial. (Barring, of course, the differences between imperative languages such as C/C++ and functional languages like Lisp or Erlang) If you know programming, you can pick up a new language in a matter of days, become proficient with it within weeks.

Focus less on specific languages and more on becoming a proficient programmer.

What you should worry about instead of language progression, is learning one language really well. Once you have a strong grasp on programming, you will understand that the differences between most languages is very superficial.

+infinity

OP, make an HTML+Javascript+CSS webpage game first. Make a div box move around on the screen when you press the keyboard. Then try to duplicate that in c++. Once you understand what it takes just to make a simple rectangle move on the screen, then you have conquered your first step. Everything else is built on that and it will become very complex so organization is going to be vital.
Be part of the man/machine revolution. SDXM 2D game engine.
www.eastfist.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement