Tools and engines to be used

Started by
20 comments, last by demonxkid 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm a newbie in this field. I want to develop a Computer game for my final year project. I'm actually thinking of MMORPG, but I'm trying to keep it simple at first. At least try making a single player in the beginning.

What are the tools/ Libraries/ Engines that I should use for my game? (provide download links if possible)

The languages I know are c,c++ and java.

But I wouldn't mind learning a new language for building this game.
Advertisement

I'm a newbie in this field. I want to develop a Computer game for my final year project. I'm actually thinking of MMORPG, but I'm trying to keep it simple at first. At least try making a single player in the beginning.

What are the tools/ Libraries/ Engines that I should use for my game? (provide download links if possible)

The languages I know are c,c++ and java.

But I wouldn't mind learning a new language for building this game.

Want to pass your final? Pick a different project. An MMORPG is way outside of your grasp. Even a single player MMO ( which by the way doesn't really reduce the workload ). Check this ( http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/03/29/I-want-to-make-an-MMO-Now-what.aspx ) out for an example of, and complete source code to, an HTML 5 MMORPG.

As to your question, if you persue this folly, you will need to make other decisions first. 2d or 3d, platforms supported, back end server environment , engine, etc

Just an FYI, I've been at this for 20 years, including several years server side, and I wouldn't dream of tackling an MMO solo in a tight time frame.
When you hear MMO you think WoW / EVE Online / Everquest etc, even though you say 'simple', MMO in the end still means a game that is massive and multiplayer, is this really what your course requires?

Focus on the RPG side of things and worry about the M, M or O part of things later, and tackle one area at a time. You dont have to think small just not extreme either, the key hear is really planning thoroughly.

As for tools / engines, it depends on what your course requires, you have to make a game based on what it requires, if it wants a 2D game for example, then any 3D engine suggestions would be pointless. Maybe the course requires you to use DX9 only, and the end product to be a certain size, ultimately the main thing to focus on is what the course requires, any suggestions to tools / engines could do more harm to you than good without actual course information.

I personally overall have mixed feelings about people doing MMOs, on one hand I think an MMO is the best project a person can do in terms of learning, you cover every area (or most) areas of programming, database management, web design, server control etc, you learn a massive amount of stuff and it is fun (well for me the bigger the project the more fun I have), if the project fails you will retain all the knowledge and likely be able to make use of the libraries you made. Ofc making an MMO is MASSIVE and making an MMO is time consuming (Note: not hard, just incredibly time consuming with challenges) and if you dont have the time to make one then its a pointless project to even remotely start. The interesting thing about making an MMO is it is just as time consuming as mastering MMOs, the difference is if a person said "I want to play games 15 hours a day for 10 years" they would not get the same responses as people who plan to make one.

Your time limit is a year, your end product needs to be based on what your course requires in the end

you cover every area (or most) areas of programming

Which also works against you as you have to be suitably proficient in these areas. For example I have hardly touched database programming apart from the SQL equivalent of hello world which I've already forgotten.

An MMO for a newbie to game development is not feasible at all. Its not really feasible for one to be made by a single developer easily and assuming a single guy can do it then it would almost certainly take longer than 1 year.

For a final year project a 2d game would probably more than suffice and could be completed within one year. Libraries you might want to look at would be SDL, allegro or SFML (several topics in existance about which of these to use) which I believe are all C++ (as I don't know C or C++ and have never used these libraries I could be wrong, I have a feeling SDL might be plain C).

With C++ you get access to basically every library in existance (ie most graphics libraries and engines -but not all- where available for C or C++ and later available as bindings in other languages.

If you want to go 3d for C++ there is raw directX or openGL available to you. If thats too complex (which it may well be) then you can use Ogre3d or irrlicht, both are pretty popular, irrlicht I think is slightly easier to use, ogre3d is supposedly slightly faster and has the larger community and has bindings for usage in python, java and .net if you don't want to use C++.
First of all, thank you very much for the replies. Even I thought that MMO was way too much for a beginner like me. So like I said in my first post, I am happy to just stick with an RPG for now. Rest features can be uploaded after the basic game is ready.

So, what I want to do is, make something like DOTA. It is a single map, with good graphics and details. And as far as heroes/characters are concerned, I'm thinking of starting with just 3. Each character can get levels between 1 to 99 and only 4 skills (Like in Dota). That wouldn't be hard enough, right? keeping aside the modelling and animation.

I have already wasted 2 months, so I only have 6 months remaining for the completion of this project (just an RPG, no MMO). Till now, all I have done is download blender. I tried to make a map like in DOTA, but believe me, it's not easy at all. I even referred to some PDF tutorials and youtube videos.

And I'm also having a hard time in deciding whether to go with 2D or 3D. If I can get 3D in 6 months, then I'm happy to go for it. But if you guys suggest me to stick with 2D, I'll do that as well.
That wouldn't be hard at all.

That is, if you have a team of a dozen or so experienced developers.

Here's a secret, scaling down the content reduces the work load minuscule amounts. The s%me amount of development work goes into 3 skill as 30.

Think smaller, much much smaller. Like Zelda small then shrink that again.
we are a team of 3 students. All of us are noobs(absolutely no experience). We are good at what we've learned so far(Java and c++), and that's negligible. I've never ever played Zelda or shrink, so I can't actually understand the difference by comparing.

Let's start with something really small, that is, the Map. How do I make a map(equal to the size of the one in DOTA or AGE OF EMPIRES)? How many days will it take? and which tool shall I use (Free open source tool)? Can I get sample modules from somewhere on the internet? Like for example, objects like a Tree or a Rock/wall etc.

I only have Blender. Will it work? I also downloaded XNA. But I think it's for XBox games and not for PC. Or maybe I'm not using it properly. After installation, it asks you to add a device(mandatory), and the choices are Xbox and Zune. And I have none.
Seriously, man, listen to the advice you are being given. It's good. If you are asking for the fundamentals in how to make a map, how can you finish the project in 6 months? Think much, much smaller...an Asteroids clone might be doable.
SimLab Developments
[twitter]simlabdev[/twitter]
I get your Point @SimLab, but the problem is that, anything smaller than what I said is not acceptable as a final year project. Atleast that's what my professors said. What's your suggestion, do I start with something else instead of map? Then what do I start with? Please help me, I'm scared now. I'm not alone by the way, we're a group of 3, and if that's not enough then I can get some to help me out, but what I said, is the benchmark set for me. I can't go any lower than that sad.png
Xna can be used to make games for windows, you don't need zune or xbox. Look into height maps, they might solve your map question.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement