Kind of stuck in learning.

Started by
21 comments, last by timothyjlaird 11 years, 7 months ago
I need to learn OpenGL/GLSL, but my graphics card doesn't support it, So I must postpone learning OpenGL.

In the meantime, I would like to learn something else.

I just finished Scott Meyer's books and The C++ Standard Library. I also know the math.

What else can I do?
An invisible text.
Advertisement
Your graphics card doesn't support which version of OpenGL? What leads you to believe that your video card doesn't support it?

SFML is an excellent 2D C++ library.
You would need fairly ancient hardware to not have at least some support for GLSL. I can even do OpenGL2.1 on my netbook with crappy intel GMA graphics.
Can't you run openGL is software like you can with Direct3D ? Correct me if i'm wrong.
'Knowledge isn't key, but understanding...'

My qualifcations are not here to showcase, but for those I answer and ask, to get a better idea on my knowledge.

BCS Level 2 Certificate for IT Users (ECDL Part 2)
OCR Level 2 National Award in Business
Level 2 First Diploma in Media
Level 3 Diploma in Games Design and Development Extended
BSc Hons in Computer Games Programming (Current - 1st Year)
Err, even my old 10 year old machine with integrated graphics that came out a few years earlier than that supports openGL (an older version but still it supports openGL)
If you're a beginner, I suggest not diving into OpenGL or even DirectX, just yet. Learn the native drawing API of your system or tool first. If you're using any of Microsoft Express editions, jump into GDI+ (or even GDI). Otherwise, there's Qt, which has their own QPainter class that makes those calls internally for you. At the least, it guarantees it will run without a dependency on the OpenGL or DirectX libraries.
Be part of the man/machine revolution. SDXM 2D game engine.
www.eastfist.com
If you are set on using C++ and feel confident in that language, look into doing some 2D game programming with SDL or SFML. I'm sure your computer would be able to handle both of those libraries. SDL is fun, easy to learn and software accelerated. Later down the road if you end up with a computer that actually CAN handle OpenGL, you can use OpenGL to do all the rendering with SDL or SFML to handle the user input, etc..

So I would get familiar with SDL/SFML, since later you can and OpenGL to either one of those. It's probably a better idea than jumping straight into OpenGL in all honesty. I wouldn't recommend that for beginners.

If you aren't so set on using C++, I would look into learning Python with Pygame for 2D game programming if you're just starting out.
I mean it supports up to 2.1, but I don't want to waste time learning deprecated stuff. I made a snake game using SFML and OpenGL. Now I want to learn the new stuff, but unfortunately, my poor graphics card doesn't support it.
An invisible text.
Well, make a more advanced 2D game with SFML then. How about a turn-based strategy?

Or, use a 3D engine that supports older OpenGL stuff - you won't have to learn outdated OpenGL, but you'll still get to mess around with 3D, you'll still get to make a cool game, and you'll still learn alot.
For what it's worth, learning the deprecated stuff won't necessarily be wasted time. Many of the concepts transfer over directly; most of the differences come in the application of those concepts. It is not as if GL3+ is any kind of radical departure from deprecated GL. The basic ideas have been there for a long time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement