3D engine with no programming required?

Started by
13 comments, last by Marcelo Costa 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi all.
I doubt such a thing exists, at least not how I'd like it, but I assume I stand a better chance of finding out if I ask, so here I am.
I usually use darkbasic, because I really hate programming and it's always seemed the easiest solution to me. But lately I've been getting burned out on game making just from the bit of coding I have to do in that.
I'm primarily a graphics guy, and I'm looking to make a king's field (first person precursor to dark souls) kind of game, and I need an engine that can give me real time lighting with shadows, bump mapping, and good collision detection. Ideally I'd like to be able to import my levels, set up my lights (with one light locked to the camera position) and walk around.
Is there anything even close to what I'm describing (also ideally, I'd like to be able to potentially sell the game when it's finished)?

Thanks for reading, I'm sure this sort of question comes up all too often.
Advertisement
Have you tried http://www.unity3d.com ? Unfotunately the free version doesn't support real time shadows and you have to do some programming. But IMHO it's currently the most user-friendly engine around.
wattywatts, there is no game engine that requires no programing, or it would already be the game you wanted just without your art. The reality is if you want the game to be your own, you need to code it to be your own.
Actually, there is. Using Blender 3D You can use logic bricks. Yes, they are by definition "programming", but Logic Bricks aren't typing. you just combine them to do different things:

http://blender.org/download
Game Engine

there is no game engine that requires no programing
Not true. For example, Construct 2 requires no coding and you can get a playable game going with it (though it's a 2D engine). There is also scripting, which tends to be simpler than coding, which many engines support. That said, I don't have an answer for you. I personally use Leadwerks, which is simple C coding.
I'm pretty sure UDK doesnt require programming..... http://www.unrealengine.com/en/features/kismet
Hmm. Well thank's everyone for your input. I have tried unity but for whatever reason I didn't care for the interface and didn't use it very extensively. Blender is absolutely the most confusing program I've ever bothered with... almost gives me a headache to think about trying to learn actually. ;)
I've played around with leadwerks and I was very impressed with what I saw, particularly the physics system! I suppose I'd best stick with darkbasic just because I already know it fairly well. But I can definitely envision a future where artists will have a programming free option!

Isn't UDK only available to big name companies for commercial projects?
If programming was a pool of water, I see you as a person at the edge of the pool staring daggers at the water, too afraid to go in because it looks too cold.

Have you tried Unity with UnityScript (aka JavaScript)? It's a fairly simple language and won't bother you about syntax as much as C# might. You could try using Boo as a language instead. It may be easier/more similar to DarkBasic, but I've never looked into it.

Once I got used to Unity's interface, it proved to be very intuitive. It allows you to pull around views to wherever you want, and add new ones wherever you want. Maybe try some customization to make it more comfortable?

Otherwise, if you still dislike it, try UDK and the Kismet system out (which someone else mentioned above). I don't use UDK, so I can't give you much advice there.
More about UDK's licensing can be found here.

Maybe I'm just biased, but it seems like relying on a 'no programming alternative' would limit how specific you could make your game, and if it doesn't, then it seems like it would just be adding a lot of unnecessary GUI to what could just be a text file.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

I'm not sure how suitable they would be for the type of game you're trying to create, but you could also take a look at FPS Creator or Realm Crafter.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You can always watch the videos at BlenderCookie.com (free). Blender is very easy to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement