Website Design ( for the game community )

Started by
8 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 7 months ago
I wanted to get some opinions on the layout and the overall design, any thoughts are welcome.

gallery_1_371_150834.jpg
Advertisement
Depending on how it's all filled in, I think it could turn out well, overall. Personally, I would prefer more sharpness (the words up top seem a little to fuzzy) (this may be from GD resizing the image though), and the text in general might benefit from a higher contrast from the background. The way it is, the low contrast is nice for stuff you want to put on the page but not "distract" the user, but I feel like I have to really try to read the relavent text (as opposed to being able to read it without having to actively try).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Indeed, this is no where near finished, but figured I would get some feel for it before going further. Thanks for the opinion and I will post with the update I have shortly.
The layout is quite nice, but if you're about to put a slideshow in that big empty spot, that's too cliche for my taste. I don't know what font you're using for the top navigation, but make sure that you do not ever use images instead of raw text, or your Google rank will suffer (without hacky workarounds.)

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

The layout is quite nice, but if you're about to put a slideshow in that big empty spot, that's too cliche for my taste. I don't know what font you're using for the top navigation, but make sure that you do not ever use images instead of raw text, or your Google rank will suffer (without hacky workarounds.)

why... would you say that?

Updated version:
gallery_1_371_104065.jpg

stuff about fonts rather than images

why... would you say that?
[/quote]
Because it's true, and a well-established best practice amongst web designers. All text and navigational elements should be provided as actual text rather than as images or Flash content. This better allows search engines to access and read your content, and makes your website more friendly to users with disabilities (such as those using a screen reader). Thankfully the use of web fonts or solutions such as Typekit or Fontdeck means this need not limit your choice of fonts.

I like the basic layout, but have a few questions and points:

• What's that box above the right side of the bottom content area? Is it going to be some sort of search, or a drop-down menu or something?
  • You mentioned this will be a community portal -- will users be able to log in? If so, where on the page will the login chrome go?
  • Is there a search function?
  • Will there be feeds (RSS, etc.) available? If so, how will they be exposed in the UI?

- Jason Astle-Adams

• That is a search function, not sure what color I want to make it just yet though. I might stick with the grey or put it back to white.
  • Yes, logins will be handled at the top bar as that is where all portal based information will be. The top menus will be specific to the portal you are visiting
  • First answer, answers this! :)
  • There is a section in the main body, on the right, that will be used for visitor information, links, meta data, and other fun things that one might want.

I have been making sites for some time and while I know that making text based is generally better I have never heard of anybody vehemently disregarding their use. *shrugs* but yes they are text. Thanks for the feedback and i will be updating as I go along. Any further suggestions or ideas are very much appreciated.

Because it's true, and a well-established best practice amongst web designers. All text and navigational elements should be provided as actual text rather than as images or Flash content. This better allows search engines to access and read your content, and makes your website more friendly to users with disabilities (such as those using a screen reader). Thankfully the use of web fonts or solutions such as Typekit or Fontdeck means this need not limit your choice of fonts.

Exactly right. The problem with a more semantic/accessible web design in general though, is that you do lose some control of how your site will appear to the end user. You can account for this with sane fallbacks, but still, if someone views your site on a console or obscure mobile device, it's likely to not look as nice as you would like. It's a tug of war between form and function -- you can strongly control the appearance by using images/flash content in place of your text, but you lose the benefits of accesibility and indexability.

I have been making sites for some time and while I know that making text based is generally better I have never heard of anybody vehemently disregarding their use.

FWIW, I've been a web developer for 10 years, and I've seen the drastic effect that favoring function over form can have on rankings. You do, and this was more true pre-CSS3, sometimes have to compromise on your "ideal" image of the site, but it's very much worth it in the end.

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

At a decent resolution I don't think the contrast is too bad, but that's with my good eyes and large display. Anyways, I like the overall theme and clean look. Does this have to do with your game project?
It's a work-in-progress: Ruin Studios
It will be the website for my game project, and the one for the game company, and my gaming community. each will have a different menu and a diff color. I am still not even close to done with the design. I pulled into Hawaii today so I have 5 days of vacation... after that I will be back to work on the design and getting it ready for our Alpha release.

RIght now, I am trying to get the mod section working since that will be a big part of our game. I want the ability for people to post their mods and have them voted upon. Doing so will let the playerbase pick the best mods and from there we can choose which ones to allow for release to the public. I also need to make sure setup the forum system and the style for that, which will take some time. I love IPB but damn is it annoying to modify their skins.

Anyway, long story short this website will replace the wordpress block and work on several different levels for my community/game development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement