Help me compile a list of simple games to program

Started by
15 comments, last by kd7tck 11 years, 7 months ago
Pretty much all good ideas.Thanks, guys.
Advertisement
This may be a bit cliche but Breakout is a logical two-three steps forward in complexity and one step back (removing second paddle and AI). If Pong is virtual tennis, Breakout is like virtual squash, one where you try to break down a wall :P

For a game programming class I also made a small game similar to Asteroids but it became more like a simple clone of Geometry Wars. The controls for a twin-stick style shooter for a mobile platform was interesting to do, this was late 2000s before touch screen phones really came into their own.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

@DujekC:

I love you breakout, it inspires me and I cannot wait for myself to get past this TicTacToe project I'm currently on, and move up. One small critique on the breakout game, I'm not sure if you review games and go back. When I was playing, and the auto-pause is a cracking idea, it seems far too sudden from when the mouse leaves the screen. I.e.; the game just freezes and it takes a second to find the cursor and when bringing it back, the game automatically un-pauses. This seemed a bit 'too' sudden for me. Just a small critique, slightly off-topic.

On-topic:

Are there any small challenges that anyone could post, to add to the list, maybe as a way of giving people differing inspiration?

Regards,

Stitchs
Thanks a lot stitch, I PMd you to not derail the topic.
An interactive fiction (word) game is a good short-term project.

Design a map and number each room and list the connections for R rooms.

Then support 10 directions (the 8 compass directions, up and down).

A 10 x R matrix then stores the connections between rooms. You could show a photo in each room (perhaps a panoramic one and let the user rotate 360 degrees).

Then, support simple noun/verb parsing and inventory (pick up the rock).
My first game I re-wrote is Dragonball Z: supersonic warriors 2

Some games what are on my mind are:
- Tank games
- Bubble bobble
- Heli attack
- Mario

Have fun with programming! wink.png
~EngineProgrammer
Most games on this list of games at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_2600_games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement