where to go now?

Started by
5 comments, last by EpicWally 11 years, 7 months ago
I've made two games in Java, a brickbreaker clone and a random ball game. I really don't know where to go now tho. I was thinking a tetris clone maybe? But I don't even know where to start with that lol. Suggestions?

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

Advertisement
What do you want to do? What was your goal when you decided to learn Java?

A tetris clone might be a good next step in your learning, especially if you're still not sure how to get started working towards a new project. You could try working through this TDD (test driven development) tutorial, which has you create a tetris game by writing code to pass the pre-written tests, and then begin writing your own tests and code to finish off the project.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I want to eventually create a mario clone and then make my own platformer. I have no knowledge of how to use sprites and load images yet tho. i just draw with swing lol

Alright, we have two ideas for how you could proceed then:

1. Create a tetris game. You could try working with the tutorial I linked to above, or if you're finding that a bit above your level you could look for one of many other tutorials covering the subject.
  2. Learn how to load and draw images.

Perhaps you could combine these ideas and make a tetris clone with simple sprite graphics?

Is that enough of a starting point to jump into, or would you like either more alternatives, or more specific instructions?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I like working with the knowledge i have now in order to create a game and then ask questions when i need help with something. Thats the only method thats worked for me so far lol

Here's some ideas: Progression
-------------------------------------
"Other than that, I have no opinion."
My Blog - Check it Out
I, as well, am very new to game programming, and I just finished a tetris clone. My roommate, who is a programmer, suggested that as a first project as well. While I first thought it sounded like an impossible task, it really didn't end up being that bad. It was only the 2nd game I've programmed, the first being a maze where you try to get from the start to the finish without running into a goblin, and it took about 6 hours including some trial and error. Both of these were text-based though, using characters on a JTextPane in lieu of real graphics, which I figured was good enough for proof of concept. It really does make a pretty good early project, and there are tons of resources out there on how to do it if you get stuck. Good luck with it!

As a side note, I like the Progression article that destructivArts linked above. I think I'll use that for picking my next project or two, because I am currently stuck in thinking what I'm doing next as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement