NeHe's Tutorial 35, Height Map question..

Started by
0 comments, last by HellRiZZer 22 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been trying to figure out the position of the camera, so it will have same height as the heightmap at given point. E.g if my camera at x=15.0, z=45.0 I want to know y value of the heightmap at that point because the height in it is on y axis. The equation

Camera.y=pHeightMap[x + (z * MAP_SIZE)]; // pHeightMap is RAW data

does work but very strangely, and it doesn''t follow the height at given point. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. Please help. I need to solve this problem.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by HellRiZZer
I've been trying to figure out the position of the camera, so it will have same height as the heightmap at given point. E.g if my camera at x=15.0, z=45.0 I want to know y value of the heightmap at that point because the height in it is on y axis.
The equation

Camera.y=pHeightMap[x + (z * MAP_SIZE)]; // pHeightMap is RAW data

does work but very strangely, and it doesn't follow the height at given point. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

Please help. I need to solve this problem.

This works funny because you only have data points at the integers, but you want height data for fractional values as well.

You need to figure out the corners of the 'square' your camera is in, and interpolate the heights from those corners.

Edited by - cheesegrater on October 12, 2001 10:13:19 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement