Any idea if AMD Radeon 7xxx cards will support OpenGL 4.3?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kurt Hudson 11 years, 4 months ago
Currently I have an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB card which supports OpenGL 4.2 but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if AMD will update the drivers for the card to support OpenGL 4.3 or will I need to wait for the next set of hardware to be released?
Advertisement
Haven't heard anything myself, but from my reading of the GL4.3 spec I see no reason why not, as much of 4.3 doesn't really require a hardware revision (the new compressed texture formats may but most everything else should be able to work on even GL3.x hardware).

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Yes, hardware support goes by major version. OpenGL 4.2 hardware will support all OpenGL 4.x.

Yes, hardware support goes by major version. OpenGL 4.2 hardware will support all OpenGL 4.x.

Ah. Thank you. That makes sense.
In august right after 4.3 release AMD said they will issue 4.3 extensions in upcoming releases until they finally form opengl 4.3. For Catalyst 12.11 beta 4 (23/10/2012) there is still none of 4.3 exts

Generally true, except for Intel and Apple?
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

[quote name='Muftobration' timestamp='1346856460' post='4976837']

Generally true, except for Intel and Apple?
[/quote]

It is about versioning convention in opengl not about implementations. Opengl hardware requirements grows only when major version increases. In another words, if hardware does support any version of opengl 4.X it's capable to support any other 4.Y

BTW Intel supports opengl4 under winows for some of their 3D accelerators and rumors are, Apple is working on OpenGL 4 drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement