Why my program wont compile when I have Embed Manifest turned on

Started by
2 comments, last by Hodgman 11 years, 7 months ago
I have a question regarding the compilation of a simple c++ program. I just got a new computer and downloaded Microsoft Visual c++. I then created a Console application to test if everything is dandy. I made a simple hello world application with the precompiled stdafx.h files included and received this error:

LINK: fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

it wouldn't let me even compile the program.... I looked into the web and found out one simple thing:

1. go into project | properties | Configuration Properties | Manifest Tool and then make sure Embed Manifest is turned to No instead of Yes.

I did this and it worked perfectly... so my question is this:

Why does my project compile now that this simple project property is changed? What does this do? Will I run into problems if I continue to leave it turned to No?

Please let me know if you need any more information on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Wayne Prim
Advertisement
A manifest is an XML resource that's used for Vista/Windows 7 Compatability (so your application can be signed as suitable for Vista/etc but it needs installers etc for that) . You don't need that so just leave embed manifest switched off.

More info about manifests.
I write for About.com About C,C++,C# and Go including Programming Challenges, and games (SDL) with sources and Online Game Development for Dice.com
Thanks Portent!
I've had a lot of problems with MSVC's manifests and virus scanners.

I recently solved a problem by adding an exclusion to my virus scanner for my programming directory. It was screwing with the files as they were being compiled -- specifically the manifest generation part for some reason...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement