IGB: Brings Steam Greenlight Controversy

Started by
3 comments, last by Gilden 11 years, 7 months ago
I always seem to cause trouble whatever I do. Indie Graphics Builder was a Kickstarter I launched providing thousands of flexible art assets to game developers. It's releasing in October. It would be one of the first non-game items distributed on Steam. Steam recently announced that they will be bringing non-games to steam.

I've already had a positive and negative reaction. I noticed Steam Dev's took a look at my project and didn't take it off, so they might want to see how it pans out. Maybe you could give me your opinion. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93199529
Advertisement
On the positive side, I think what you're doing is great -- a large collection of cheaply available reusable assets would be a fantastic resource for developers, and I hope you're able to get it up and running. cool.png smile.png However...

...sorry if I'm just missing something obvious... but how exactly is there any controversy here? Steam is allowing non-game content... you're trying to launch non-game content... steam apparently don't disapprove of your content...

I don't really see any way that could be any LESS controversial, and I don't see how you're "causing trouble" by using Greenlight exactly as it's expected to be used...

[s]Is this actually just a shallow attempt to get us to visit (and hopefully support) your Greenlight campaign? For the record, we have absolutely no problem with you advertising and asking for support here if you use the correct forum, but we don't appreciate people being dishonest and trying to trick others into viewing things -- if that's what you're doing, I'd suggest you stop.[/s]

Oh, and moving you to our "Your Announcements" forum.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't really see any way that could be any LESS controversial, and I don't see how you're "causing trouble" by using Greenlight exactly as it's expected to be used...

I think the OP is referring to some of the comments left by steam users, such as

Simon_Says 4 hours ago
Stock art does not belong on the steam storefront.
[/quote]

Newfr 21 hours ago
It's good, but it's not a game. As far as I know Greenlight is only about games at the moment.
[/quote]
and

CarlinFan Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:26pm
What Valve plans to do with Stem someday in the future with regards to software other than games is irrelevant now. More importantly, it's irrelevant here, where it's about submitting games. Reported.
[/quote]

Personally, I'm with jbadams, I think what you're doing is great, and utterly suited to greenlight.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Ah, I see, it does appear there has been some negative reaction from the community. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes, I'm still sorry for posting in the wrong area, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd like to get some views on my post and Greenlight page. I was also referring to the negative posts I've been getting. Thanks, for your comments though, it's nice to think my project is good for Steam Greenlight.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement