Question about Macbook Pro and game development

Started by
20 comments, last by cowsarenotevil 11 years, 7 months ago
So, I've only been studying for a few weeks now on programming C#, and am starting to think that C++ might be a better option going forward, although that's a different point, but school's started and I'm looking to get a portable computer for use in classes. I'm attending an art school so in reality, I only have one course that will need a computer for, Media Arts and Digital Technology, but I can use it for notetaking for some other courses. I plan on majoring in Media Arts and Digital Technology, so in the future having a good portable device I can work on at home and school would be worth the investment. I'm curious, though, whether or not buying a MacBook Pro would be necessary or not, and if I would be able to use it for doing game development in the future. Just to note, I do have a fairly decent PC I bought this past winter, so this won't end up being my main all-around computer.

If anyone has any advice they can offer, that would be wonderful. Thank-you.
Advertisement
While the specs on a Macbook Pro are all right, and they are pretty much regarded as media editing laptops (Photoshop and so on) I think the price is totally out of proportion. I just asked a similar kind of question to games dev in the lounge forums because i wanted a decent laptop for going abroad to study.

Take a look at it and see what you think, some of the comments may still be relevant.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/629085-laptop-advice/page__p__4966105#entry4966105

If you need any more information, just ask. That's what the community are here for.
/********************************************************************************\
/**********************He Who Dares, Wins**********************************\
/********************************************************************************\
Thanks for the redirect! I think I have a better idea of what might work for me.
Windows and Linux also run better on normal laptops. If needed, you could still install OSX86 aside (kind of pain in the ass). Like me, I triple boot very fine with grub.
It mostly comes down to how much would you want to use OS X, and if you prefer the software on it. It would mostly be a major boon for people that are seriously interested in iOS development. Otherwise it's harder to make a compelling choice for this laptop (I have a MacBook mainly for work and this is my opinion). On the other hand, as derda4, mentioned, it's harder to get OS X running on a PC than it is to Bootcamp Windows on a Mac.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

The biggest problem with owning a MacBook is they only work at Starbucks, and in that case, they are only capable of surfing Facebook and writing awful screenplays...

I gest of course.

With MacBook Pro's, you are paying a massive premium for so-so hardware and incredible build quality. The OS used to be a huge upside, if you want a user friendly *nix platform, Mac was the way to go, except a) Mac OS/X has aged poorly b) Apple has been more restrictive c) Ubuntu has gotten better.

So, unless you are looking to write for iOS, or are looking for a +3 CHA modifier at Starbucks, there is very little to recommend a MacBook Pro. Unless of course money is no object. I personally get buy working primarily on Windows and Linux with my portables ( an Acer TimeLine 11" and Asus G53 if you care ) and my 4 year old iMac at home when I need to build for iOS/Mac.

There is also MacInCloud but as you can see from my review, it kinda sucks. Maybe it's gotten better since.
Macs are very polarising. If you have used a Mac all your life (as I have), then you really can't do without one, and the productivity gain is well worth the price premium. If you come from a Unix/Window background, odds are good that you'll either hate the UI, or hate the restrictions Apple places on you.

Bottom line, go to the Apple store, give one a spin. If you fall in love in the first 20 minutes, then your choice will have been made for you.

I'm also bouncing this topic to the lounge. For Beginners is for technical questions.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I switched from a PC to a mac 5 years ago. I'm definitely loving it. I use it daily for work and my own hobby products. I do keep a PC lying around for cross platform work and testing.

As swiftcoder said. GIve it a spin, you may like it but if not there are good laptops available in Windows and *nix.
*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***
Really most of the software you'll be using on your course will be available on windows and for the same money you can get an extremely powerful windows laptop compared to a low end macbook. On the other hand you will have another platform for cross platform game development at home for testing.

Really most of the software you'll be using on your course will be available on windows and for the same money you can get an extremely powerful windows laptop compared to a low end macbook. On the other hand you will have another platform for cross platform game development at home for testing.

The pragmatist in me simply can't justify paying double the money for half the machine. There is a bit of hyperbole in that statement, but not actually all that much. The MacBook pro's are exceedingly expensive, at least in Canada they are. While the MacBooks are far too weak as a primary machine for a game developer.

This price gap is even more jarring when you look at the Mac Mini, or ( to a lesser degree ) iMac, which are quite affordable. The simple fact you can get a Mac Mini, and a better Wintel laptop for less than the price of a gaming/gamedev worthy MacBook is a hard pill to swallow.

That said, as integrated chipsets improve ( the HD4000 series is *MUCH* more viable than the old 3000 series ), then the Air's suddenly start looking like a better option. But at the end of the day, if you are a developer or a gamer, or a game developer, you have to pay through your ass to get a GPU equipped Macbook.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement