Best language to be "versatile" in game making.

Started by
67 comments, last by kop0113 11 years, 7 months ago
My friend and I are small coders, know some here, know some there, but...We are looking for a language to be open to make any kind of game, I do not mean FPS or something like that witch requires Unity, UnReal, etc. We are looking for a CODING language that can be made into 2d, Not any 3d! And by games I mean 2d-sh game, aka at a angle, and it be able to be used on any type of game like that and be made to look nice and PROFESSIONAL, I was thinking C/C++ or Java, what do you guys think? Maybe even top down, or complete side view, please reply! smile.png
Advertisement
Any good language can do 2D or 3D (though I agree you should stick with 2D starting out).

I'd recommend Python. Also, see the PyGame library with Python. Python tutorials and documentation.

You mentioned you, "know some here, know some there..." - the key is not finding the right language that'll make games pop out, the key is sticking with whatever language you choose, and keep on striking the anvil until what you are forging is finished.
The good thing in your situation is that your friend and you can learn together, and encourage each other. Be accountable to each other to spend time programming, and be each other's motivational coach. When one of you feels tired, frustrated, or bored, the other can force you to continue, and vice-versa.
Any language meets those requirements.

Professional quality games have even been developed in Game Maker (Legend of Fae, Serious Sam: The Random Encounter), RPG Maker (To The Moon), and Multimedia Fusion (Saira). Terraria was written in C# with XNA. RuneScape was written with Java.

It isn't the language or tool you use that makes a game look professional, it's the quality of the artwork and the polish you put into the game. It really doesn't matter which language you choose as long as it's capable of displaying graphics and playing sounds -- which really aren't limiting factors. You'll be able to make any type of game, with any 2d view with any language you might care to choose.

So, what languages do you already know?

Python and C# are commonly recommended options, both of which are more than capable of meeting your needs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Any language meets those requirements.

Professional quality games have even been developed in Game Maker (Legend of Fae, Serious Sam: The Random Encounter), RPG Maker (To The Moon), and Multimedia Fusion (Saira). Terraria was written in C# with XNA. RuneScape was written with Java.

It isn't the language or tool you use that makes a game look professional, it's the quality of the artwork and the polish you put into the game. It really doesn't matter which language you choose as long as it's capable of displaying graphics and playing sounds -- which really aren't limiting factors. You'll be able to make any type of game, with any 2d view with any language you might care to choose.

So, what languages do you already know?

Python and C# are commonly recommended options, both of which are more than capable of meeting your needs.

I looked at tutorials on BOTH, and to me, well, to us, We like python. C++ Looks difficult, not saying it is, just saying it looks, and In contrast, All the games made on Java/C++ are they ABLE to be made in Python, like in theory, and in another note, is python, powerful/popular/worth learning?

_Edit* I saw you asked what I knew, Honestly..I have very little in java, from messing with Minecraft Mods, I am fluent in HTML/CSS, but that is not important haha, and for Python I have watched about 5 tutorials from thenewboston And in C...NOTHING I am not educated in C at all!
You should choose whatever language you are most comfortable with.

C++ is generally considered to be a little more difficult than some other languages, so if you think it looks harder I'd probably trust that instinct, it's probably a good one.

are they ABLE to be made in Python, like in theory, and in another note, is python, powerful/popular/worth learning?

Absolutely. Python can definitely be used to make games, it's very popular, and it's definitely a useful general purpose language that's worth learning. Python was uses extensively in the creation of EVE Online and ToonTown Online, and was used as a scripting language in Civilization 4. You can read some things people from companies such as Google, Industrial Light and Magic, and others have said about Python on their website.

Once you've learned the basics and are comfortable with the language (perhaps using the freely available Thinking In Python) you'll probably want to look into using either PyGame or Pyglet; you'll probably find PyGame more approachable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You should choose whatever language you are most comfortable with.

C++ is generally considered to be a little more difficult than some other languages, so if you think it looks harder I'd probably trust that instinct, it's probably a good one.

[quote name='Tyl3r684' timestamp='1347076787' post='4977891']
are they ABLE to be made in Python, like in theory, and in another note, is python, powerful/popular/worth learning?

Absolutely. Python can definitely be used to make games, it's very popular, and it's definitely a useful general purpose language that's worth learning. Python was uses extensively in the creation of EVE Online and ToonTown Online, and was used as a scripting language in Civilization 4. You can read some things people from companies such as Google, Industrial Light and Magic, and others have said about Python on their website.

Once you've learned the basics and are comfortable with the language (perhaps using the freely available Thinking In Python) you'll probably want to look into using either PyGame or Pyglet; you'll probably find PyGame more approachable.
[/quote]

Shocker 1_ EVE was made/assoc. with PYTHON? That is awesome!
As for another note, We are fully going for python/pygame thank you! I am ready to start learning! :)

keep on striking the anvil until what you are forging is finished.

QFT. Often times, I find myself quitting early and getting discouraged. Just make sure you always stick with it until the end and you will learn a lot and feel good in the end smile.png

Fly Safe 7o

I received the following question from the original poster via private message, but I'm answering here so others can also benefit from the responses.

[quote name='Tyl3r684']
As you know I want to begin python, where may I find updated tutorials there all from 2 - 3 years ago... :|
[/quote]
You'll want to learn Python 2.7 rather than Python 3; the differences (from your perspective) will be fairly minor and easily adjusted to once you decide to update, but for now a lot of the libraries (such as PyGame) you will want to use have not been updated to Python 3.

I recommend Thinking In Python, A Byte of Python, and the official documentation for learning Python. Once you get to learning Pygame you'll want to start with the official documentation and tutorials listed on the website.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I received the following question from the original poster via private message, but I'm answering here so others can also benefit from the responses.

[quote name='Tyl3r684']
As you know I want to begin python, where may I find updated tutorials there all from 2 - 3 years ago... :|

You'll want to learn Python 2.7 rather than Python 3; the differences (from your perspective) will be fairly minor and easily adjusted to once you decide to update, but for now a lot of the libraries (such as PyGame) you will want to use have not been updated to Python 3.

I recommend Thinking In Python, A Byte of Python, and the official documentation for learning Python. Once you get to learning Pygame you'll want to start with the official documentation and tutorials listed on the website.
[/quote]

Would there be a difference between 3, and 2? We both have 3 and are willing to downgrade.
I LOOOOOVE Python. I am not a programmer by any means, but have still been able to write very useful tools in Python for work.

I originally went through the free book http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/, which has been used/revised for classroom use for several years now.

I recommend downloading and using Python 2.7, since basically every library out there work with it, plus it has had a lot of the great improvements made for the 3.x series backported to it. Python 3.2 is technically newer and the language has had a few changes to make it more "Pythonic", but not all the stabilized and proven libraries work with it yet.

I use Aptana + PyDev for my IDE and debugger. It is a fantastic free dev environment for Python.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement