Getting All The Possibilities? (for dialogue)

Started by
1 comment, last by Rybo5001 11 years, 7 months ago
Okay, so I'm wondering if there's an easy method (or software) that'll help me do some dialogue.

As in, I have several boolean (true/false) and I want the character to do something different depending on each.

For example.

Windy, Cold, Daytime

so if it is windy and cold but not daytime: It is a cold night
If it is windy and daytime but not cold: it is a windy, warm day
If it is not windy, not cold and daytime: it is a warm day

ect ect ect

I need an easy way to list all the possibilities AND be able to add new variables (true/false).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Something similar to this is great: http://www.mathsisfu...calculator.html

Edit:

Okay since no-one is replying I'm hoping it's because you don't understand? I'll try to clarify what I'm looking for.

Let's say I have a game with relationships between the player and AI NPC characters.

Now every time they talk, the NPC will reply differently depending on different factors.

How can I plan these responses in a neat layout in Word or another program?

For example:

I have three variables: isHappy, isCold, isHungry, which then have the values of either True or False.

I need a program (or a quicker method than writing) that means I can get all the possibilities for the scenarios:

isHappy = true, isCold = true, isHungry = true; means "Even though I'm cold and hungry, I still feel good about myself!"

isHappy = true, isCold = true, isHungry = false: means "I'm full and feel great but it's cold in here!"

isHappy = true, isCold = false, isHungry = false; means "I feel GREAT!"

and this will continue for all (9?) possibilities.

Now, just writing it out like this is fine for 3 values and 9 outcomes. But I want to consider up to 10 values (1000s of outcomes).

2nd Edit:

To clarify I don't want something to make dialogue for me, I just want it to list, like this:

isHappy = true, isCold = true, isHungry = true
isHappy = true, isCold = true, isHungry = false
isHappy = true, isCold = false, isHungry = false ect ect

Then I will add what I want to be the dialogue myself.

This is also just for design, not actual coding.
Advertisement
I can't think of any software that auto generates dialogue for you.

Probably the easiest way to do what you want is build a parser and interpret to turn madlib or cookie cutter dialogue lines into full lines.

So you could have sets of dialogue like:

"It's [Adjective->Weather] [Weather] day"

The interpreter then matches those bits in the square brackets with methods that generate word choices or sentences.

you might have the following:

Weather()
{
if(sunny)
one_of(["sunny", "warm", "beautiful", "glorious"]);
if(raining)
one_of(["rainy", "gloomy", "grey", "miserable"]);
}

Adjective(LinkedState state)
{
if(state == Weather)
{
one_of(["another", "looking like a", "going to be a"]);
}
}

Then you can have
It's going to be a glorious day.
It's another rainy day.
Its' looking like a miserable day.

It'll take a lot of work though to get a decent results out such a system without it looking very cookie cutter like.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion but I'm not looking for something to make me any dialouge.

I just want it to list all the possibilities and I'll add the dialogue later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement