• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glhf

What is the guy called with all the money? boss?

51 posts in this topic

I want to be the guy that is the so called producer i think? and also boss?
i want to look for teams that have a maybe what is it called again.. prototype..

i have a lot of money now that i can invest.. i think i would be really good at this because i know a lot about games and game dev.

so ill just look for teams that need money to develop a game and their game looks promoising.

is it a producer or whats it called?

and when I do this?
Do they get a share of profits too or just the money they needed to make the game.. what is it they need money for anyway exactly?
because if its for their own salaries like paying rent and buying food then i dont thikn they should get a cut of profits the game make as well?

aand when i am the boss like this..
I get to make the final decisions about everything right?
So i can say for example.. remove that weapon from this game... and add this instead... kind of like creative director but not really..
because who ever is the designer on their team does all but i just come in a change details to my liking.

what kind of ranges do they need in money for this?
im not really talking about AA+ games that need millions but more like indy games... like i have seen kickstarter have projects where they need thousands of dollars.. except you dont really get anything for giving them that money except silly things like "we will name a boss monster whatever you want" lol.

how do i become this person?

[quote name='FLeBlanc' timestamp='1347119088' post='4978003']
good team and more for a pack of slaves to bend to your ego, and I'm sorry but creative teams simply do not work that way. The 'blackmail' approach Hodgman mentions only goes so far
[/quote]

It depends on the team I guess.
I've seen slave-drivers and their office is still up as we speak. Sure, the turnover in terms of resources/employees is crazy, but they somehow managed it regardless.

i think investor/venture-capitalst is what I want to be..
I dont have time for writing GDD anymore, its really time consuming.
i am making a lot more money from other work now and i need to invest the money :D

but does black mailing to pull out mone work really?
because then everything i have paid them so far is a loss?
i think the devs have easier to get what they want because i see it in all games where they keep pushing release date and extending 1000 times while producers(guys with money) are hassling them to release already... they cant just pull out.. the game has to have taken a complete disaster step for pulling out to be worth it.

and FLeBlanc.. i know you dont udnerstand my game designing posts, you should stick to programming and let game designers to their job.

Aw man, your posts always crack me up [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png[/img]

Yeah I think what you're describing sounds like a venture capitalist/investor. You look for promising developers, finance their game and get a compensation in return.
But I really think you should drop the attitude of controlling every little bit of the process. If you find a team with a good prototype why should you dictate them what to do with your money? After all, you are giving them money to finish their game, not yours.

I'm not an expert here but I think this would all be decided during the contracting phase. Both parties agree on a game design, lay out milestones etc.

So in honour of your username, good luck and have fun. kthxbai [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1347120390' post='4978008']
1. i think investor/venture-capitalst is what I want to be..
2. but does black mailing [by threatening] to pull out mone[y] work really?
3. because then everything i have paid them so far is a loss?
4. and FLeBlanc.. i know you dont udnerstand my game designing posts, you should stick to programming and let game designers to their job.
[/quote]

1. Good, because as the others said above, that is what you described. But I would not want to be on the receiving end of your venture capital -- you put very rough strings on your money.
2. It can, if done right. No method comes with a magical guarantee.
3. All business is risk. You shouldn't make a threat without being willing to see it through.
4. That was uncalled for. I downvoted your post for this nastiness.

so where can i find teams that look for investor?
I have never ever seen a thread where they ask for that at least on any kind of game dev related forum.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1347125633' post='4978042']
[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1347124882' post='4978040']
I have never ever seen a thread where they ask for that at least on any kind of game dev related forum.
[/quote]

Most studios looking for investment will contact potential investors themselves, investors looking for investment opportunities will look around for promising startup companies themselves. You can get a list of game related companies in sweden right here: [url="http://www.allabolag.se/what/Utgivning_Av_Dataspel."]http://www.allabolag...ng_Av_Dataspel.[/url] (Allthough if you're looking to invest money you might want to branch out a bit and look at non game related companies aswell)
[/quote]

nice link but i see companies listed there like blizzard and paradox etc..
i was thinking like really small teams.. that maybe dont even have made a real company yet..

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1347127275' post='4978048']
[/quote]

Most studios looking for investment will contact potential investors themselves, investors looking for investment opportunities will look around for promising startup companies themselves. You can get a list of game related companies in sweden right here: [url="http://www.allabolag.se/what/Utgivning_Av_Dataspel."]http://www.allabolag...ng_Av_Dataspel.[/url] (Allthough if you're looking to invest money you might want to branch out a bit and look at non game related companies aswell)
[/quote]

i was thinking like really small teams.. that maybe dont even have made a real company yet..
[/quote]

There are small companies in there aswell, (The big ones tend to be listed first though).

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1347129526' post='4978058']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are small companies in there aswell, (The big ones tend to be listed first though).
[/quote]

how do these small companies operate?
They make a game and then go and work in mcdonalds while they wait for a investor to come and fund them to make a new game or what?

if they already have the manpower to make games then why would they need me?

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1347129659' post='4978059']
[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1347129526' post='4978058']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

how do these small companies operate?
They make a game and then go and work in mcdonalds while they wait for a investor to come and fund them to make a new game or what?

if they already have the manpower to make games then why would they need me?
[/quote]

To expand their business , make bigger games, make their own games rather than games for their customers, etc.

I think its funny everyone thinks what i said was so bad but its basically exactly the same thing fleblanc said but he just said it very veiled with 2 paragraphs of text.

he basically said "be the money man and dont try to be anything else" which is what i said to him as well lol

i guess politics just aint my field of expertise lol

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1347185713' post='4978238']
I think its funny everyone thinks what i said was so bad but its basically exactly the same thing fleblanc said but he just said it very veiled with 2 paragraphs of text.

he basically said "be the money man and dont try to be anything else" which is what i said to him as well lol

i guess politics just aint my field of expertise lol
[/quote]

Except you didn't just say "be the money man and don't try to be anything else". For example:

[quote]aand when i am the boss like this..
I get to make the final decisions about everything right?
So i can say for example.. remove that weapon from this game... and add this instead... kind of like creative director but not really..
because who ever is the designer on their team does all but i just come in a change details to my liking.[/quote]

and

[quote]but does black mailing to pull out mone work really?[/quote]

Expecting to have overriding authority over every little detail of their development process is a far cry from "be the money man and don't try to be anything else", in fact it's quite the opposite.

Your problem is not a lack of political astuteness rather your attitude in general. From your posting history, you seem to be entirely closed off to any ideas or positions that are not in tune with your own (misguided) ideas and positions, even when this advice is coming sincerely from people far more experienced than you. This isn't a good sign. You then open up this thread with asking how to invest in a fledgling company and dictate every minor detail to them. This is a terrible sign for any healthy and productive business relationship. Quite frankly, working under you sounds like it would be a terrible experience and you sure as hell won't retain any talent with your attitude to learning and business.

I've never closed off any ideas from others, if you really read my posts you will see that I'm giving arguments.. we argue about stuff to find out what is better or correct etc.
you will also notice that I'm always lost person giving an argument.. the others always give up and stop arguing and just say sometihng like "lets agree to disagree then".
So that means they are the ones closed of to new ideas.. not me... since i argue... they dont.

and some people think im strange and aggressive because i reply with arguments to other people who comment on the first post of a thread..
they don't like when i argue against them.. that means they are closed off to new ideas Edited by glhf

[quote name='Madhed' timestamp='1347187931' post='4978249']
Either you suffer from delusional disorder or you are just a troll.

I don't know if english is your primary language but from what you have written several times on this forum in different threads you give away a very strong "me against the world" mentality. Everyone else is dumb, irresponsible, should just listen to your advice since you seem to know it all better.

Also you seem to down-vote every single post that disagrees with your views. Really? Is that what you call a discussion?
The fact that your reputation has almost reached negative 200 should also give you a hint that maybe, just maybe, you are the one at fault.
[/quote]

i downvote if you say something offensive to me..
not that points really matter in my eyes.. they have zero meaning to me but i just cant resist pressing the buttons lol

and i dont have any "me against the world" mentality.. and i dont think everyone else is dumb.
i think many don't really "get it" when it comes to game design but that doesn't make them dumb..

if I didn't think i could learn things from others then I wouldnt make threads asking for other peoples opinions and views..
but then they think im close-minded when I argue against their replies... but its other way around like i explained in the previous post.
open-minded people argue to find out what is better.

then theres ofcourse some thing that cant be argued about.. when it comes to ying and yang.
as in different genres of games etc.

Also you seem to down-vote every single post that disagrees with your views.
[/quote]
I'd go even further and say that he's using a sock puppet to further down vote others and up vote himself. Both myself and jbadams [i]conveniently[/i] had 2 down votes just minutes after we posted whilst glhf was still active in this thread.

[quote name='GeneralQuery' timestamp='1347188554' post='4978252']
Also you seem to down-vote every single post that disagrees with your views.
[/quote]
I'd go even further and say that he's using a sock puppet to further down vote others and up vote himself. Both myself and jbadams [i]conveniently[/i] had 2 down votes just minutes after we posted whilst glhf was still active in this thread.
[/quote]

i actually upvoted one of your posts lol

Guys, leave the analysis of GLHF's psyche out of it, unless you're a trained professional and he's hired you to do so, and get back on topic, or someone's going to have to lock the thread. Edited by Hodgman