How do i make a level with tiles?

Started by
13 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 6 months ago
Thanks guys i have found a way to use tiled map editor in a c++ program it was a precreated class file and header file and im using that. sdl does seam easier, what is the difference between sdl and sfml.
Advertisement
There's no point switching to a new API just from a short snippet of code. I'd recommend SFML over SDL to C++ users in most situations, and I have experience in both APIs. That's not to say one is "better" than another, but you choose the right tool for the right job... and if your job is completing a game, and since both SDL and SFML would both be good choices, switching APIs is detrimental to meeting your goals.

SDL is a 'C' programming language API, that is usable in C++ and uses a functional interface.
SFML is a native C++ programming language API, using object-oriented principles and RAII.

They are both good APIs, but it's bad advice to go hopping from API to API (or language to language as some people also suggest), whenever a wall is encountered, especially when that wall exists in both APIs and switching wouldn't solve your problem anyway.

The issue you were having, was how to load a Tiled Map Editor map file in C++. That's a C++ issue, not a SDL or SFML issue. Both SDL and SFML are not natively familiar with Tiled Map Editor... and both have 3rd party integration with that format.

In my personal opinion, you should stick with what you are already using.
I agree.

I was just simply suggesting my opinion on SDL.

However, the goal of accomplishing tile editing and use in a game wouldn't make a difference between SDL and SFML.

To succeed in game programming you have to sometimes make your own way for things to get done from the ground up.

Like some others, I think game engines are a waste. Simple 2-D applicable game programming doesn't need any special libraries or such for the aid of game development process other than one to supply higher-level access to graphics/windows(which is pretty much all I use SDL for).

I write all of my game's features, I/O, graphics, sounds, etc. from my own native coding, not external engines.

Point is, I'd recommend you use what works best, and make sure you integrate things on your own rather than just using pre-existing code to handle the majority of the tasks for you. The more you learn, the more power you have over programming.
Yes, this is red text.
Yeah i know now how to intergrate the tiled maps now just asked for difference to make sure i picked the right language to start with and to use in the futer for programming. Also for future reference what would you suggest i use for making 3d games? could i still use sfml or will that be too difficult also i heard of Unreal Dev Kit and heard that borderlands used it but when i used it, it wasnt much programming with c++ at all it was just making a map much easier without me inputing code which i want to.
SFML can be used with OpenGL. SFML and OpenGL are APIs.

Unreal Engine is a game engine, which is abstracted to a higher level.
I've never used Unreal Engine personally, but it's certainly more than just a level editor. You were probably just using that tool... but alot of the Unreal Engine logic is handled with scripting (which is just like programming). Further, it is made in C++, but the C++ access is reserved for the real Unreal licensees (which cost serious bank), if I'm not mistaken.

There are plenty of 3D engines for C++ if you're looking for them. For example, see the Source engine. (Which also has a level editor, but that's not the entirety of it, and yes, you can write C++ code with it). Other engines exist, like Crystal Space and C4 engine, with various licensing terms and reasonable costs for commercial releases.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement