Getting a following/support?

Started by
7 comments, last by Feign 11 years, 7 months ago
Hey everyone, I'm creating my first indie game and it's going really well, I've got art, an engine, design doc, etc. But I have literally no following. Now I know that it will slowly grow over time, but I was wondering if anyone had tips on getting people to notice you/your game?

Note: I'm not talking about thousands of people, I'm just asking for tips to get the ball rolling, to start growing.
Advertisement
You could start by giving us a link to your blog / website / whatever so that we can follow your project.
Get some youtube videos out there, post updates on twitter / facebook / etc.
Get a playable demo out so people can try the game.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+market+a+game

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...o market a game

That is a terrible response, and from a moderator? Isn't this a forum to learn? Ask questions? You could post that same reply to probably 80% of the threads on this website.

Instead of try to be smart and act as if I'm stupid or something, you could attempt to give a real answer, or just don't post at all? Because you clearly don't know how to market a game. If you do, why don't you go ahead and tell me, because that is what my question was.

Pretty pathetic to see a reply like that from a mod. I mean, the guy above your post pointed out the complete obvious but at least he attempted to help. Down vote for you and an up vote for him.

Edit: And if you weren't aware. Google is not a human. People post on forums to get replies from other humans, to have a small discussion, get idea's, etc. Google won't have a discussion with me about how to gain awareness, so posting a reply like that is literally going against the goal of forums.
Oddly enough, I came here about 10 minutes ago to write more along with the link. I saw that someone had upvoted it, though, and decided not to add anything (thinking it might be you, Cirqo).

What I would have added was: "If nobody posts any tips for you, you could probably find some useful information about how to market a game by using this link." I wondered if you had tried Googling how to market games before you posted your question (you didn't say you had). I still think there's likely to be information out there. If you don't want to Google it, try reading articles on Gamasutra, read postmortems, read blogs of indie gamers who've released products.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Oddly enough, I came here about 10 minutes ago to write more along with the link. I saw that someone had upvoted it, though, and decided not to add anything (thinking it might be you, Cirqo).

What I would have added was: "If nobody posts any tips for you, you could probably find some useful information about how to market a game by using this link." I wondered if you had tried Googling how to market games before you posted your question (you didn't say you had). I still think there's likely to be information out there. If you don't want to Google it, try reading articles on Gamasutra, read postmortems, read blogs of indie gamers who've released products.

Thank you for this reply, I will check out the articles on Gamasutra, now I will up vote you.
You might get some ideas from this list: clicktobegin.net/business/20-ways-to-advertise-your-game/

Hope something there helps! :-)

(Posted from mobile device.)

- Jason Astle-Adams

the guy above your post pointed out the complete obvious but at least he attempted to help.

So completely obvious that you didn't do it, and still haven't done it?
What an obnoxious ingrate to insult the people attempting to assist you, whether you find it to be quality assistance or not. Are you also insulting your players? Because if so that's probably your problem.
Good news, everyone! I have a signature now!

[quote name='Cirqo' timestamp='1347314143' post='4978713']
the guy above your post pointed out the complete obvious but at least he attempted to help.

So completely obvious that you didn't do it, and still haven't done it?
What an obnoxious ingrate to insult the people attempting to assist you, whether you find it to be quality assistance or not. Are you also insulting your players? Because if so that's probably your problem.
[/quote]

I actually have done it, so you're wrong there. I don't have any players so how could I possibly be insulting them? And I wasn't really trying to insult him, but reading it over, you're right. I definitely should have worded that better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement