Java3D vs C++ OpenGL

Started by
2 comments, last by oggs91 11 years, 7 months ago
Hello there,

We are willing to develop an application that does some simulations. The application should have some 3D graphics that shows the simulations that we want to run. The thing is that, there is a dispute on whether to use Java3D or C++ openGL.

I would like to know the main differences between them. How different are they in performance, behavior and rendering. Which one should we use Java3D or OpenGL? Is there any link that contains a detailed technical comparison between them?

Thank you.

Thank you,
Samir Georgy

Advertisement
Both will give you access to hardware accelerated graphics and access to OpenGL (JOGL). If you wish to support crossplattform rendering , java might be better suited.

PS: performance wise there will not be really a difference between using OGL-API through Java or C++.
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Java 3D? your wasting your time, you'd be much better off learning OpenGL (or using it shall i say) to make simulations rather than Java3D.[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I mean can you think of any simulation software developed in Java3D? as far as im concernced there 'might' be some but the ones i know are veyr succesful and made in OpenGL for example: Game engines i.e unity3D(mainly c++ but other languages too e.g C),Blender: Computer Graphics and animations software + GE written in OpenGL and python. [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive] [/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Well there you go i could give you many more examples.[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]note: remember im not criticising java but rather Java3D since there are better programming languages for making simulations.[/font]
if it's no the case ignore me but... it totally depends on how detailed your 3d graphics should be, i guess you want to concentrate you developement on the simulation itself rather than on fancy 3d graphics. using opengl will eat alot of time.. better use a simple graphics engine e.g. http://jmonkeyengine.com/ (it's based on opengl)
btw i never heared of java3d, maybe it's what you are looking for

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement