Opinion on new boston

Started by
19 comments, last by CarlosMartinez 11 years, 7 months ago
In general does he do good programming tutorials or does he teach messy code? I cant really tell as i'm new please answer

Thank you for your time
Advertisement
Beleive me he is really good i consider him my Second teacher for Java Programming and Application Development
hiss toutorials are divided into three Parts
1st Beginner
in which there are round about 80 video toutorials
2nd
Medium
in which he covers some general things
3rd
Which is the game development teaching toutorials
i was able to step into world of Game Development thanks to him
Check on you tube
I'm assuming you're referring to the tutorials specifically about game programming. "Opinions" are dangerous things on forums; I don't want to start a flame war. Not at all my intention, so here goes.

I've watched a few of the videos. While the videos clearly show you how to build _something_, I have my doubts about the competence of the creator. While I can commend the fellow for putting a lot of work into his numerous tutorials, he seems to be lacking some qualifications for lecturing on the subject. The first red flag for me was when he said something to the effect of "you times X by N", which I took to mean "you multiply X by N". There are many examples of this in the videos which imply that, while the presenter can clearly build some things, he does not have a strong grasp of programming and mathematical concepts.

To answer your question directly, yes, I believe the code is a bit messy. That's my opinion with 5+ years of full-time programming experience.

Sorry if this is a bit "ad hominem", but given what I've observed in content of the tutorials, I would advise against following them too closely (especially if you're a beginner). I think there is some value in them, however, for building simple animations and such, but to turn this stuff into a working, usable game foundation will take a lot of work.

Graned, criticizing without suggesting an alternative is not constructive. Unfortunately, I cannot think of an alternative set of video tutorials which show as much as detail as these. Perhaps someone else knows and can post a link.
lolx
well its not like that you can become a game developer in java coming out of blue and just start programming at the professional level you have to start from the basics both as the application developr and the game developer

lolx
well its not like that you can become a game developer in java coming out of blue and just start programming at the professional level you have to start from the basics both as the application developr and the game developer

I agree with you on that. But that wasn't my point. Whether the content is basic or not is irrelevant. My point is that the author appears to be lacking the proper comprehension of the subject matter to be teaching even at a basic level. The style of the tutorials is very "cargo cult", which is not good for anyone (especially beginners). There's a big difference between "simplifying" and "dumbing down". Explaining complex concepts using simple clear language is useful. Dumbing things down and overprotecting newbies from what is really going on is not useful. What's even worse is when the presenter doesn't actually explain things properly (as in, using incorrect terminology to describe concepts). An example:

In one of this Python tutorials, he explained how tuples can be passed to Python function and expanded into positional arguments. Here's the function, more or less:

def example(a, b, c):
return a + b * c

He states that this function "returns a mathematical function". Well, no it does not. It returns the value of an expression (most likely a mathematical expression). It is certainly not a "mathematical function". I found this just by picking a video at random and watching a few random minutes. These poor explanations are all over the place in the tutorials. So while the author does appear to grasp some concepts (it quite clear, given that he can write some working programs), he does not appear to have clear enough understanding of the subject matter to be teaching it properly. That's my point.
Just to help make Thok's point, the key issue is: teaching someone means you're taking responsibility for instructing them correctly. Many people can learn a concept and apply it in their own work, but not nearly as many can communicate the idea effectively enough to be able to teach it well. While the video author can program, he can't necessarily teach in a solid enough manner that would let new programmers establish a good understanding of what they're doing.

All that being said, it's free videos on the internet. The guy's taking his own time to make them (though is likely compensated via youtube partnership), and they're no-risk learning for anyone curious. It's like getting a free peer tutor in a class: they may not be the best at explaining it to you, but it's a great asset (coupled with more rigorous sources) if it helps you learn.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Unless of course its teaching you bad things, in which case, its more harmful than helpful.

I've no experience, I have no need for such tutorials and find video a poor way to learn. That's said, people whose opinion I respect say they are unequivocally bad. In terms of content taught that is.

Some people will find them useful, others won't. Opinions are irrelevant here.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Not true. If people with experience on the topics covered by NB say the content is *wrong*, that is incredibly relevant.

Not true. If people with experience on the topics covered by NB say the content is *wrong*, that is incredibly relevant.

+1

The title of the post is "Opinion on boston". The OP was asking for opinions, and was specifically inquiring about the perceived quality of the tutorials. So in this case, I would say opinions are perfectly relevant and on-topic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement