• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kirkd

Inheritance vs. Templates

8 posts in this topic

At the risk of starting a religious war...

I'm in the design process and currently looking at pathfinding. I'm happy to use A* as my graph search alogorithm, and I like the idea of making this pathfinder as reusable as possible since we don't have anything at this point requiring less than a massive rewrite.

My first instinct is to use class structures and inheritance. Specifically, my search algorithm (A* in this case) would accept an AStarSearchable class, which would implement the appropriate ExpandNode function and have some friend functions to take care of other details such as DistnaceFromStart, HeuristicToCoal, DistanceToGoal (DistnaceFromStart + HeuristicToGoal). In the extreme, I cold make a SearchAlgorithm base class and then have different algorithms derived from that.

On the other hand, if I use templates and make my A* algorithm a template class with the expectation that the supplied parameter type implements the functions I mentioned, I see another way to get at the same result.

Which would you choose, and why?

[quote name='Goran Milovanovic' timestamp='1347467274' post='4979351']
I would have a component called Navigation, which could be used by any given Entity.
[/quote]

OK. Could you throw a teeny more detail in there?

I'd go with the template unless you need polymorphism at runtime. That's the key factor.

The only other consideration I can think of is whether your team are familiar enough with templates to pick it up and use it - though I swear by the above advice, I default to inheritance if it saves arguing with my team!

Edit:

It's worth mentioning that the reason I'd go with the template (apart from personal style) is that compile-time polymorphism avoids the extra indirection of a vtable - [url="http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/general-programming/improving-performance-in-c-with-compile-time-r2015"]clicky[/url]. Style-wise, as [url="http://www.artima.com/cppsource/codestandards3.html"]"inheritance is the second-tightest coupling in c++"[/url] I tend to avoid it unless it's the perfect tool for the job. IMHO this also makes templates (huge generalisation coming up here) easier to reuse, maintain, and test than inheritance hierarchies. Edited by mrbastard

Of those two options I would go with templates, mrbastard gave some good reasons why.

In terms of making it "reusable as possible" I could be tempted to follow the principles used by the standard library and have the search accept the path-cost function, the admissible goal-distance function and a node-expander function instead of assuming they are all members of the node type (so now a node could simply be a pointer into a 2d array, etc), e.g.

[code]
template <typename NodeT, typename PathCostFunctionT, typename GoalDistanceFunctionT, typename NodeExpanderFunctionT>
void search(NodeT start, NodeT goal, PathCostFunctionT pathCostScorer, GoalDistanceFunctionT admissibleGoalDistanceEstimator, NodeExpanderFunctionT nodeExpander);
[/code]

(Obviously what this signature is lacking is away to emit the discovered path, assuming the full path is what you're trying to discover. I'll leave that up to you, you could return a collection of nodes, or perhaps take an iterator to write out nodes in the path - and then pass it a back_insert_iterator). Edited by dmatter

Some negative things about templates for duck-typing:

Executable bloat
Compile time increase
Can no longer separate header / source

For an algorithm like your example I'd probably go with templates anyway though.

Thanks to everyone for their input! It certainly helps to have other opinions to help with my decision. I'm much more comfortable with inheritance, but maybe this is a good excuse (and not too complicated of a project) to get comfortable with templates. Of course, the suggestion to go with neither has strong merit, too.

Hopefully by the end of next week the design and implementation will be done and I can not question it further. 8^)

[quote name='kirkd' timestamp='1347471718' post='4979381']
OK. Could you throw a teeny more detail in there?
[/quote]

[code]
// Pseudocode

class Soldier:Entity{

init(){
nav = Navigation(this)
}

run(){

if keyHit(somekey):
nav.setDestination(somevec)

pos += nav.getDirection() * speed
}

}
[/code]

It's an oversimplified example, but that's one alternative.

I would additionally like to echo what Telastyn said: Generic is not always better.

Make games, not engines/platforms/libraries; Reusable code is something you should distil from previous games.