Sign in to follow this  
M3Gamer

Unity Abbreviations for programming related words-

im TIRED of having to write ' programming languages' and the like so continuously, so i decided to ask the community and invent some abbreviations for commonly used words by programmers.

programmer-Pro# i thought of the hash sign since its easy to just tap it with your finger.
programming language prgmL
Coding-
Script-
Game engine: GE

i can barely think of any right now but when im actually writing code im full of them!!!

feel free to post more and ill add them to the original thread!!

I'm not sure I see the point of doing this, at least on the specific terms you cite. It takes me less than two seconds to type "programming languages," even with capitalization, and I would expect that the majority of programmers have a similar typing speed. "Script" and "coding" take even less time to type. Even worse, the introduction of all these abbreviations would just make posts confusing to those who don't know the abbreviations and introduce a communication lag even to those who know what they mean, so not only is this pointless (at least for the examples cited), I think it would actually [i]reduce[/i] communication speed. Remember that most of the communication on a forum occurs via other people reading your posts - the time you spend writing a post is minuscule next to the amount of time a post will live on a forum, so focusing on making your posts understandable to everyone is a good goal to have if you want your ideas to actually reach people. Introducing abbreviations for everything (especially the ones cited) will make posts less immediately understandable.

What use case do you have in mind for these abbreviations of yours? Edited by Oberon_Command

BTW, abbreviations in actual programs are bad, mkay?

Write code for clarity, not conciseness. The two are related, but not to the point that we should be compressing and decompressing our program text mentally. The mental overhead of doing so would literally mean bumping out other, more-important facts, such as the current value of a variable while debugging, etc. It's proven that most humans can only actively retain and track something like 7 distinct pieces of data at once.

What's saving a couple keystrokes if it costs you mental efficiency in the end? Edited by Ravyne

I have a suggestion ... why don't all you young people stop using "code" as a verb? -- that way you won't need an abbreviation for "coding". It's "writing code", dammit ... (Get off my lawn!) Edited by jwezorek

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By koto
      Hello,

I'm developing a roguelike game. Currently it's in a playable state and I think it's a high time to show it and hopefully get some feedback.

The game has following features:
      - turn based
      - procedurally generated levels
      - tons of loot
      - spells system
      - trading system
      - some quests
      - some limited crafting
      - door/key/lever mechanics
      - quite a lot of different (look/behaviour) monsters

Trailer:
      Demo: http://kotogames.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/OuaD_demo.zip
      Regards,
      Tom

• By Afambus
      Hello,
      I have a full experienced team that looking for a composer and another 3d designer, im expecting as much from you there are other people in this server that can help you we have a determined team, we have done many things in our game there is more information in the discord about everyone and there skills there region and about the game, if you join the discord pm asap
      https://discord.gg/b2teN3m
    • By BAG Labs
      Mobile SoS

Platform: Android
      Genre: Board
      Link: Google Play

This games sharpen memory and test your strategies to place S-O-S pattern within time limit and serve 3 difficulties as Easy, Normal, and Hard.

Goals of the game is to put S-O-S words in patterns (Horizontal, Vertical, and Diagonal) alternately with enemy.

Features:
      Single Player Multiplayer Achievements Leaderboards  

Screenshot:

Link: Google Play

Please help us improve this game with review
    • By abarnes
      Hello!
      I am a game development student in my second year of a three year program and I would like to start building my portfolio. I was thinking of creating some games to show what I can do to potential employers since I wont have any work related experience when I graduate. But as I'm sure you all know there are tons of ways to approach developing/designing a game and I'm curious if anyone had any insight as to any "standards" that come with this? Is it okay to use game engines like Unity, Unreal, Game Maker etc? Or would it be better to make a game from scratch to better show case your skills? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
    • By Hilster
      Hello 2D Artists,
      I've started making a 2D Puzzle Adventure game for mobile and I'm looking for someone who would want in on creating assets for the game. The core of the programming is pretty much complete, you can walk within the grid laid out and push boxes, when there is an object on top of a pressure pad it will activate the linked objects or if there is one object with multiple linked pressure pads it requires you to activate all points for the object to become active. 

The level iteration for the game is quick and simple, a Photoshop file that is made of individual pixels that represents objects is put into the game and it creates the level out of those pixels with the assigned objects.
      The objects that need sprites created so far is the character, box, pressure pad, door, trap door, the walls, the stairs and the tiled background.
      I intend to add more objects so the amount I'd like to add will be extended.
      My motivations for posting here is to have something that looks nice to be able to display on my portfolio, so if you're looking for a working game that you can place your art into and improve the look of your portfolio then we're in business.
      Please reply with a few past examples of your art below and I'll be in touch!
  • Popular Now