Sign in to follow this  
nicksaiz65

Help with curved lines in Pixel Art?

[indent=1] I recently stumbled across a pixel art tutorial that mentioned making curved lines.[url="http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-2-lines-and-curves"]http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-2-lines-and-curves[/url] It mentions how to make curved lines, but I am still having trouble making them. Could someone help me understand the rles of curved lines and how to go about making them in more depth? Thanks.[/indent]

It kind of depends on whether you want to use a really strict pallet (8-bit, for example) to make it look old-school, or if you don't want to limit yourself that way. Ashaman's suggestion will give you an anti-aliased line, which does not really conform to what most people think of in pixel art (but will look smooth).

I really want to respond in more detail to this topic, but I'm at work right now. Please message me if I don't get back to you in the next 12 hours!

Could you post some examples of what you're trying to do? You can attach files to posts.

FLeBlanc's did a good job with his example.The key to smooth curves is consistent "stepping", where there's an even reduction in the length of each step, like here:

[attachment=11271:Stepping.png]

More general ways to make sure things to look right is to zoom out all the way or mirror your sprite horizontally every so often. It lets you take a fresh look again and recognize any glaring problems you didn't notice while working on it (you tend to lose overall perspective working on details).

I would practice by making blobs (pools of goo or blood, imagine) and smoothing them out until they look right. There really aren't any hard and fast rules, so experiment until you fell comfortable. First attempts are as a rule are always bad; it just takes practice.

I am trying to make an image of Squall Leonheart from Final Fantasy 8. I've attached what I have so far, and the image that I am using as a reference. I need to make curves to put in the individual strands of these hair. However, some of these curves are irregular, and therefore I am having trouble.