Sign in to follow this  
scott21493

Looking For Some Recommendations

So I've decided to try out game programming and I was looking to see what people think would teach me the most. I'm not looking to make some awesome game or do it professionally, I just want to learn how it's done and learn the most from it. I'm not sure what language to go with, which books are worth getting, basically all of it.

Just a little about me so it'll hopefully give you more to base your recommendations off of. I have a pretty good grasp of Java, C++, and C#. I'm not expert by any means but I've got a handle on them. I've made a very basic game in Java only using Swing for a class. I've used XNA to make a very basic platformer. I only had a single enemy that just went to where the player was at and would jump over things if it ran into them. I had a camera that would follow the player in there too. That's about as far as my game programming knowledge goes. I've only used C++ for school things.

I'm also kind of interested in learning OpenGL.

So, what would all of you recommend? What would teach me the most in terms of game programming and programming in general?