Anyone ever have surgery?

Started by
19 comments, last by lmbarns 11 years ago
I'm trying to figure out the effects facing the few of us that develop medical problems temporarily halting all development aspirations.

Is it even possible to work while taking narcotics? Think straight, comprehend documentation, etc?

I'm just feeling crushed right now, 28 years old, full time student with 7 classes left, have spent every free moment for 2.5 years learning some aspect of game development. Was close to releasing some kids games a month ago, then haven't even been able to open any projects for 3 weeks cause a tumor that's progressively gotten worse over 10 months is pushing on a bunch of nerves deep behind my eye and has finally become pretty debilitating.

Anyone ever have an experience like this, or any surgery I guess, since the meds probably suck no matter what. Were you able to work through them?
Advertisement
This is going to vary according to the person, the illness, the procedure, the medications, the duties. You have to make your own decision whether you should even try to continue with your schooling, or bail out until you're better. My recommendation is that you talk to your counselors and teachers at school, and of course your doctors. Make the right decision for you.
A decision grid might be helpful.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I never had something as serious as you but a few years ago, I had a large tooth abscess (that developed because of a chipped tooth). I had to get it sucked away etc..., I'll spare all the gory details, needless to say it hurt like hell. I had to take lots of meds for the pain after (which was unbearable, trust me - if it wasn't for those painkillers I would have knifed my teeth out) and was essentially as responsive as a zombie for the following week - it was impossible to even think clearly, much less attempt to do any work. Although it wasn't any better before the operation, I couldn't open the mouth at all and every waking thought was directed to minimizing immediate pain.

And this one time a few months ago, I had a sinusitis which was causing dull toothache because the sinuses were pressing down on the gums, I was recommended Phenylephrine before sleep to ease the ache a bit... it knocked me unconscious and I woke up with a completely numb cheek and feeling extremely dizzy and could not concentrate clearly on anything (though I could still communicate and do simple arithmetic, I was unable to do anything more demanding). Yeah I know it's all teeth problems but I can deal with other types of pain fairly well, toothache just brings me to my knees everytime.

I think most of the answers to this topic are going to depend on how people react to the medications and post-surgery trauma (if applicable). But in your case it sounds like the surgery isn't the problem, but the disease is. You need to get that tumor removed - I wouldn't be too comfortable with a tumor building up right next to my brain stem. Unless you've already gotten medical help - which I desperately hope - I suggest focusing on survival instead of productivity. Other than that, I think we're all knocked out for a few days or weeks after going through medical problems, but in my experience it only stops once the underlying illness is eradicated. Shooting yourself with painkillers only goes so far.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

And this one time a few months ago, I had a sinusitis which was causing dull toothache because the sinuses were pressing down on the gums, I was recommended Phenylephrine before sleep to ease the ache a bit... it knocked me unconscious and I woke up with a completely numb cheek and feeling extremely dizzy and could not concentrate clearly on anything (though I could still communicate and do simple arithmetic, I was unable to do anything more demanding). Yeah I know it's all teeth problems but I can deal with other types of pain fairly well, toothache just brings me to my knees everytime.

Phenylephrine did that do you? That stuff doesn't even do a thing for me (no side effects; actually, it doesn't relieve the sinus issues either). For me, pseudoephedrine is the only way to go. Unless it's phenylephrine hydrochloride. That stuff works wonders, but I often find I'm worse off after the phenylephrine hydrochloride wears off. Anyway, I've always had sinus issues for years until I went to the doctor. They did a deviated septum repair and a double turbenectimy. Not nearly as bad as a brain tumor, but the meds afterwards made me a little goofy (I went to a friend's house and her brother told me I talked to the wall... I don't remember that part). I think the meds were just Lortab, but I was taking a higher dose than I've ever done (when I got my wisdom teeth out and took a lower dosage of Lortab, pretty much nothing happened for me). I was pretty disfunctional for a couple of days, but after that I was just fine. Normally if I get quite sick or am on some meds that make me weird I either a) watch movies, b) play Halo until I get frustrated 'case I can't control my guy well, or c) slowly program stuff.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Phenylephrine did that do you? That stuff doesn't even do a thing for me (no side effects; actually, it doesn't relieve the sinus issues either). For me, pseudoephedrine is the only way to go. Unless it's phenylephrine hydrochloride. That stuff works wonders, but I often find I'm worse off after the phenylephrine hydrochloride wears off.

Yeah, I took one dose and went to bed, went into a fever and passed out an hour later, woke up next morning as if a dentist had broken through my window and administered several hundred Novocaine shots into my upper right molars. At least I didn't feel any pain - I didn't feel anything for that matter and bled my inner cheek a couple times by biting too hard. I will try the pseudoephedrine next time, noted - thanks.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Thanks guys.

I never had something as serious as you but a few years ago, I had a large tooth abscess (that developed because of a chipped tooth). I had to get it sucked away etc..., I'll spare all the gory details, needless to say it hurt like hell. I had to take lots of meds for the pain after (which was unbearable, trust me - if it wasn't for those painkillers I would have knifed my teeth out) and was essentially as responsive as a zombie for the following week - it was impossible to even think clearly, much less attempt to do any work. Although it wasn't any better before the operation, I couldn't open the mouth at all and every waking thought was directed to minimizing immediate pain.

That's pretty similar to how my problems started. At first half my face was numb/tingling/burning along with my arm on the same side. Then the nerves on the left side started going nuts zapping me constantly, at times it feels like really painful gum nerve pain just above the roots of your teeth. That part of it is called Trigeminal Neuralgia, and it's caused by pressure on the trigeminal nerve. I finally got a prescription for neurontin for it, which made it somewhat manageable and has no negative side effects for me.

But then there was still a pain after toning down the TN, that felt like it was the worst case of deep sinusitis ever. An MRI showed a jelly bean "lesion" near the pituitary gland, smothering the trigeminal nerve and stuff around it. Eye problems started next.

That led to laying in a compromising position in the neurologists office as he stuck a BIG needle in my spine and waited 30 minutes while enough fluid dripped out.

Nothing showed up in the spinal fluid to explain the lesion, no cancer, bacteria, virus, etc. He gave an extremely rare diagnosis (Tolosa hunt syndrome) which also destroys your eye nerves/function, started me on steroids and said if it's not going away within a week or two then it's a tumor (cavernous sinus meningioma) requiring biopsy, but it's in a place they can't really get to, lot of important stuff there. It's been 5 days and no improvement so I'm just thinking through my next 3-6 months if I have to get laid out.

edit:: I actually got the referral to the neurologist from an orthodontist because I thought a tooth had moved up there, the main doctor I'd been seeing wasted months of my time telling me I had migraines and trying bullshit meds that just wasted a lot of time.
Is it even possible to work while taking narcotics? Think straight, comprehend documentation, etc?
Yes, but it is not time-effective. Code produced is low quality. If this is stressful, then it will probably hold you back from recovering. Having been there, I'd say you have no chance to be effective if the pain is somewhere in your head.

Best wishes.

Previously "Krohm"

I can't compare any surgery I've had to anything like what you're going trough, but I've had the same problem as Bacterius. I couldn't sleep because of the pain, and because of that I couldn't complete any home work and had to cancel all sparetime contracts or put them on hold until I got the meds. I think it's easy to underestimate this kind of pain, it really shuts you down; and I'm not even sensitive to pain.

Still, what you're probably going to produce code-wise (if you try) is low quality stuff that you'll refactor anyway when you get better. If I were you I would focus totally on recovering from your illness. It's your health, worry about your education when you get better. You got plenty of time, you're only 28 (as am I). If you don't stress yourself out, you'll recover faster which means you'll get back to your habits (school, work, your hobby etc.) faster.

Hope for the best! The stuff you're going trough would put me down totally mood-wise. I feel for you and wish you all the best!
I have had many surgeries and I always bring my laptop to do work in the hospital. I usually have to stay for weeks at a time, so I have a lot of experience with exactly this situation.

Coincidentally, I did the terrain libraries for both of my past 2 engines while high on morphine in a hospital bed.
The code was not horrible, but I made a few idiotic mistakes. Luckily, idiotic mistakes are the easiest to spot and fix.

But your results may vary. Since I have had so many surgeries I have a high tolerance for drugs. So high in fact that I awakened during my last surgery, lifted my head, looked at the doctor, and told him I was awake. He didn’t stop cutting or say anything. About a minute later the nurse finally injected more anesthesia.
This probably won’t happen to you, by the way, unless you have had many surgeries already.

So while I can say it certainly is possible, it depends on your tolerance towards drugs. I wasn’t very productive the first few times, but I also wasn’t trying to be. I think I could have done more if I had wanted.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I had abdominal surgery some years back. Four-and-a-half hours in surgery... I was out of my mind on morphine for the next couple of days. Had a really crap week confined to bed with a dozen tubes into various bits of me. Second week I was at least staggering around the hospital a bit. Honestly was in no state to write software for a good couple of weeks. I barely managed to read a couple of books. I was just about capable of watching TV.

Been back a few times for more stuff, but it's generally just been day surgery and only knocked out for half an hour or an hour. Even so, they can take a good couple of days to get over.

So, yeah, don't count on being able to work through it. Sorry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement