Sign in to follow this  
kunus

Wining Eleven 3, Final Ver No artificial intelligence but how?

Hello Everyone

I'm Interested in game developing. I read somewhere that there is no artificial intelligence in Wining Eleven 3, Final Ver. it's a PSOne game back to years ago.

I'd love to know how CPU responds to actions and plays. e.g.[b] CPU vs CPU[/b] game: what are results based on? and how can a result be different every time?

any help appreciated.

regards.

Took me awhile to find what on earth winning eleven was, turns out thats the japanese title for pro evolution soccer which certainly will have an AI. Even tic tac toe, a relatively simplistic game has an AI.

Agreed with the above -- there certainly would have been some sort of AI -- what you might have read was that it wasn't "really" AI. A lot of the techniques applied in video-games aren't really intelligent, or even a good approximation of intelligence, but instead use clever methods, statistical tricks, etc. in order to provide the illusion of intelligence.

I'm not directly familiar with the game in question, but based on the genre and a few images that showed up in a quick search I would guess it would be likely to use some form of path-finding, and might select actions based on a set of probabilities, perhaps with a bit of randomness thrown in. This isn't really intelligence, but it would be enough to give players the illusion that their opponent was acting in a smart and considered way.

If you knew exactly what techniques had been used you might be able to predict the outcome of any given setup, or even trick the AI into making certain decisions, but without access to the code it would be very hard (read: practically impossible) to figure out the exact workings.

The game may or may not also employ randomness, which would obviously make such predictions difficult or impossible.

[b]EDIT:[/b]
If you're interested in game AI, you might check some of the resources provided in our [url="http://www.gamedev.net/forum/9-artificial-intelligence/"]Artificial Intelligence forum[/url]: Specifically there's a pinned topic with [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/592473-recommended-ai-books-and-sites/"]recommended AI books and sites[/url]. You'll likely need to study some programming basics before being able to understand properly though.