Sign in to follow this  
maya18222

How to view Depth/colour targets in vs2012 Graphics Debugger

I was kinda hoping you could select the depth or colour target object as the current object, and then be able to see the each draw call being rendered onto the buffer as you click over drawcall commands. However, if I do this, I dont see anything, just the clear colour for the colour target, and the checkboard pattern for the depth target.

Anyone got this to work?

Yes, it works for me. I don't have to do anything. When i switch back to Visual Studio I see The GraphicsExperiment tab with the final render and beneath that the frame list with the same. If I go to the present method (At the bottom of the graphics event list) then work backwards through the draw calls I see the reverse process of constructing the scene as expected. So ..

final render (composition of gbuffer & lightmaps)
final lightmap composition
ambient lightmap
direct lightmap
another ambient light map 8-o (i'll have to look into this hehe)
49 what appears to be incremental position buffer renders, but if i go into the device context for these draw calls and go down to render targets, I see the render target states, then i see the render target slots, with my three rtv's/resources ... position, diffuse & normal maps. selecting the obj links brings up the views.

so you're able to select a RTV or DSV, and still see the scene being constructed in those views as you flip through draw calls that render into those views?

Are you also able to see the depth buffer?

Edit - I've managed to view the depth buffer to some extent, by selected the DSV Tex2D resource, and then setting the Colour format to some kind of floating point format in the image properties window, ...but its still not really useable, as apparently all image editing is done in 8bits per channel, not floating point.

[attachment=11300:Untitled.jpg] Edited by maya18222

No, when i open an rtv, the tab is a static view of the rtv at that moment, so it's a view of that event only. To navigate through events, i have to navigate the graphics experiment at the top level and drill down into each event to view the render target. With only the rtv in slot 0 being shown in the graphics experiment tab.

So no, I cant view a render target changing by moving forward and backward through draw calls. Although that's effectively what the top level is doing, but just with slot 0. I would like to know how to view the other slots instead without having to drill down into the resource views. The pipeline stages view also only shows rtv slot 0.

Mind you, I'm new to all this myself, I only got pix working and started understanding it a few months ago. So there may be ways to configure or use these tools, that I'm not familiar with.

Im not sure that the 32 bpp limit is a real problem. How do you see it as a problem ? And what use do you have for manipulating the resources here ?

ps (edit). My depth buffer isn't working properly so i can't comment on that. Edited by Gavin Williams